Hey guys,

I recently installed a smallport 4AGE to use temporarily whist waiting for an engine rebuild.

It was sold as a "running engine", with the ad saying 150psi across all cylinders - sounded a little low, but I was only planning on using it till the end of the year.

However after I installed the motor, I found that this was not the case. It feels and sounds like its running on 3 cylinders, and is blowing white smoke.

Here are the results of the dry compression test after warming the engine to operating temp:

1 - 190
2 - 60 and did not hold pressure
3 - 60 and did not hold pressure
4 - 210

It's weird that the gauge looses pressure on cyls 2 and 3 after maxing out at 60psi when cranking. I don't think it's something I am doing wrong, as I immediately swapped the gauge back to cyls 1 and 4, which held pressure until I pressed the release valve, as did the results on cyls 2 and 3 below VVVV

I then did a wet compression test on cyls 2 and 3, with about 1/2 tablespoon of oil:

2 - 205
3 - 220

There is also a reasonable amount of pressure coming out of the dipstick hole, but there is NO oil in my catch can, so it sounds like its probably rings?

It was suggested that I do a leakdown test, however I don't have an air compressor etc.

Where would the issue likely be?? Bottom end or head gasket/top end? The later I can fix with spares I have lying around.

Cheers,
Andrew.