Thread: torque wrench cheap but good?

Name
    c
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default torque wrench cheap but good?

Im looking at getting a torque wrench and wondering what others have used, I want something that is going to accurate but cheapish also.
    If prices, brand and where you puchased can be posted it would be great.

Name
    Mick
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

What do you need it for? if you are doing engine rebuild's I would recommend you get the best one possible. I have a 1/2 inch T&E torque wrench, works fine for head gaskets but When I do my rebuild I'll probably buy a better one

Name
    c
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

That is the question im asking bud, as the one that costs the most isnt always the best.
    Im not going to fork out $1000 for a torque wrench and only use it a few times.

I did read on the old forum about a wrench that was a cheapish one but made by the same factory as a top brand name one. Anyone know?

Veteran
    Name
    Aaron
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

king chrome?

the type that have the push in button then "clicks" off are hell easy to use and dont really go out of calibration. some other more complex types can go out of calibration. remember never use it as a breaker bar.

those couple of times that you use it maybe worth while spending more getting a good brand name one. if you where putting 10k into a motor and using a $15 toque wrench... that wouldnt make sense to me.

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i have a total tool one, seems to be good quality

Name
    Mathew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

supercheap have them on sale every so often and they go for around 50-100 doll hairs and are the shit as i have used a few now and bang for your buck they are the go sorry as i don't remember the brand but just go ask em when they have sales on hope this helps u but as said before the more basic the wrench the better it will be
    the dyno pull to 300rwkw

BT20v is making 300rwkw like i said i would without nitrous so now its time for some spray and see if she will run a 10s or less

Name
    c
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I totally agree but im not putting 10k into a motor, more like 400 so i dont see the need for a expensive one.

Head to repco, ask for a price on a warren and brown one, 1/2 inch drive.

Price should be around $330 inc gst and postage.

I work at one of the stores in Tassie, sold a couple only last week, great wrench and can be re-callibrated, even though its suggested to be done every two years.

Quality workshop Tension Wrench.

Hope that helps,

Prewer
    Last edited by Prewer; 16th June 2009 at 11:23 PM.

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

super cheap ones are SHIT... as too are the king crome ones that look exactly the same...

The ones that have the twisty handel to set the torque are all rubish... Stay away at all costs... You may save moeny when you buy one but when you snap bolts or your engine falls apart or spins a bearing cause the tensions aren't right it will cost you HEAPS MORE.

As AE71 said... The deflection beem ones with the button are the go..
    Just remember to push the button everytime...

Was doin a job not long ago to 850flb.. took three of us pushing VERY HARD on a torque rench that was about 1700 long, and old mate forgot to push the button.!! pushing pushing pushing.. WHEN THE FUCK IS THIS GUNNA CLICK.. LOL

But a good quality rench that you will keep pretty much forever wil set you back around $300 I just bought a Sidcrome one not long ago. Was $330. Would have preferd a warren and brown one, or a moore and wright... But was in a rush and Sidcrome was all I could get hold of.
    PS... I don't rate Sidcrome tools.... Since they were bought out and the tools market has been flooded with good quality cheap tools I don't see the point in spending double the money on a product thats not really any better... That is regarding normal ratchets, spanners ect... NOT TORQUE WRENCHES.. SPEND THE MONEY and get a good Brand name wrench.
    Last edited by --Redwork--; 16th June 2009 at 11:46 PM.

Name
    c
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Warren and Brown dual signal deflecting beam tension/torque wrench 20ft/lb to 200ft/lb

So something like this will do the job for a rebuild?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast