Name
    Taz
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Tips to make exhaust around the 92-95 db mark

Hi all,

Will be taking my 71 to Marulan on the 21st.

It has a stock bluetop with pod filter and exhaust.

Exhaust wise i have 4-1 extractors, one resonator then one high flow muffler. I have a flange before the diff so i can get a quieter muffler/silencer on there without major hassles.

What are your experiences? Will a stainless muffler be quieter than a mild steel? What would be least restrictive on performance? Extra high flow muffler in middle or quieter rear muffler with silencer?

these are the rules of Marulan:

Test 1: Maintain 5000 rpm for five seconds. Requires a reading of less than 92db when measured 5m directly in line with the exhaust tail pipe.
    Test 2: From the same position, return the engine to idle rpm then flatten the accelerator to 5000 rpm for a reading of less than 95db.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Link in there has a silencer link on ebay which isn't too restrictive , screws onto the tailpipe.

Center muffler and rear muffler generally works well.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Test 2 is BS... how can that be controlled?
    50 rpm could put it over the limit.

Stainless has a tinnier sound.
    mild steel you get a bit more beef

Id say if you had a good hi flow muffler...
    make sure its of decent size and not some chinese job... japs are ace at making exhaust systems flow, sound great and quiet at the same time.
    your hot dog or resonator will cut about 3db.

the positioning of the muffler also makes a difference to how affective it is.
    i think from memory... the close to the engine the more affective... just confirm that though..

if you have an I phone.. you can download a DB meter app.... will give you some idea of how much noise its making once done.

You also need to ask the Weighting the DB meter is set to.... A, B or C

usually the standard is A, it give an average reading and is a fair way to measure.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hot tip, that iphone app is fail -

I'm looking at ways to bring my exhaust level down also, can't fit anything else in the system as I made the exhaust sit nice and tight to the body, already has a 'flowmaster' resi (interesting design compared to your normal straight through type resi's) I thought it would be a lot more effective than it actually is.... at the rear I have a powerflow straight through offset muffler finished with about a foot of 3" pipe. this all on a 20v, whole system is stainless.

I can't justify the cost of those apexi ecv so I'm going to attempt to make my own from a throttle body butterfly of the right size, I think Ive got it sussed, but until I have it in front of me the brain will come up with some way of making it work..

Best bet is something similar, or the biggest muffler you can fit under/in there.. good luck
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

not sure if X force are still making those Varex mufflers..

it depends which one you have ( iphone app ) some of them are fairly accurate.. within 2 db or so

in no way am i saying its a reference, but it give you an idea.

also id stick with a 2.25" main system... any more and your just making noise with a low/mild powered NA.
    rear section take it out to 3"... but only a few ft from the end

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I found having a muffler closer to the rear made it more quiet.

But nothing beats a decent flowing baffled muffler. Or offset to offset straight through might do ok.

I have 2 offset to centre straight through mufflers and Id say I only just meet those requirements...

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Cat converter, one hotdog/resonator before diff, then high flow baffled rear muffler (not a cannon) my car is super quiet mainly because the exhaust tip dumps to ground 60 degrees or so.

In Odaiba for the D1 Grand Priox the cars had to be made quieter due to the public so everyone welded on exhaust tips that basically dumped paralell with the ground (90 degrees) i'd say do this with your current setup and you'll have no issues. the ground must absorb the sound waves where as with a striaght tip they are sent outwards through the air.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Taz
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

okay well i pick up my dizzy today and will test with an app called sound meter on my sgs2

i like the dump tip idea as it is the easiest/cheapest method i have heard so far

what about unbolting my rear muffler at the flange and putting a plate in there with holes between the flange?

Veteran
    Name
    Adan
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

what size tip do you have on the end?

I have a 2.5" silencer I made up which just slides onto the end if you want to use it. It has holes and scotchbrite to muffle it a bit.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I find that hotdogs cause drone...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast