Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: G Series & F Series Diff Disc Brake Solutions

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

They used to run 2 pair of calipers on the front of many group a cars back when the wheels were small and the brakes had to fit inside but pack maximum punch.

Name
    Luke
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey guys im doing a f series diff in my ae71 and thinking of running twin r33 rear calipers. was anyone making the brackets for the calipers to mount on or were people making there own? if anyone knows anyone that is making the brakets I would definetly buy them, also what disks has people used? I want a slotted and vented rotor on the rear.. cheers guys

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

If you're using r33 calipers, you need an 18mm disk which is what most Nissan rear disks are. FC is 20mm commodore was either solid or way thick, same with falcon IIRC. I don't think I looked at much else in the way of disks but if you're going to use those calipers you might as use the same disk to go with it. If you wanted a smaller disk, you'd be wasting some pad size.

What car is the f-series out of. Sundee/spirited drive makes what you're after but it's for the mx13 diff only and suits s/t/e series. If you've got a tarago diff then, no one makes anything to suit them. I have cad files of the flange and the offsets required to make them but I'm using s13 stuff.

Name
    Luke
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yep it's a tarago diff. Think I might just have to make my own brackets to suit then. Cheers for the help

Name
    Dude
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Now might be a good time to ask - anyone got a file or template for twin R33 calipers on a g-series diff?
    I'll need to change a few things, but it would be a good starting point if anyone can help out.. Thanks..

Name
    Adam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

So instead of starting a new thread I may aswell ask here..

So this might come across abit silly, but i like to overthink things and make things more complicated than they are!!! but, I finally got around to putting together my f series diff (yr22) and have a few questions..

my main concern is with the axles and how they are held in....Is it only the thin little plate with 4 bolt holt holes on the axle itself that hold the whole lot in? Or am I missing something. I never taken one apart and I got mine in pieces so I can't confirm anything.

To me it Just seems the axle retainer is pretty thin to be holding the axles in.?!?!

Also,

When i slide the axles into the housing the bearings push up agains the lip inside the housing so they can't go in any further....but the bearing itself sticks out about 3-4mm from the housing face.. Is this normal? Just seems odd.. Or does the backing plates for drums/disks meant to take up this extra few mm. (Never got them)

I am going to be running some sort of disk setup so does this mean the thickness of the caliper bracket has to be the thickness of how much the bearing sticks out the housing? So when I bolt the axles in they can't slide in or out..

here is a photo of my axle bolted in.. You can just kinda see how much the bearing sticks out and the gap needed to be taken up...it's just not making sence..

For example.. Say the bearings stick out past the housing by 4mm, and I make my caliper brackets with the radius cut out to sit over the bearing O.D from say 8mm think steel... When everything is bolted up I will be able to slide the axle in and out by 4mm !??!

What am I missing?? Sorry if this is a gay ass question haha

Can anyone clear it all up for me..
    Cheers. Adam.

Name
    Dude
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hi Adam, that looks like you have installed the assembly correctly -
    I can tell you with the g-series, from memory, that the tension of the diff center splines, bearing/bearing carrier and oil seal are the only things holding the axles in..
    Hope that was of help but ask again and we can help you in this thread.
    Cheers

Name
    Lindsay
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Adds, you are correct in thinking that the brake dust cover (backing plate as you put it.) makes up the couple mm to close up the gap between the housing and the axel retaining plate. I suppose you could swing the calipers off a plate sandwiched in that gap. That's how some of the twin caliper kits are.

I just reread your post and the whole 8mm plate would create 4mm slop ( or there abouts) is correct.

I run a s13 disc setup on a f series and the caliper bracket is welded to the housing. Then the dust cover was cut down so its pretty much a spacer so it doesn't have any slop.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Concur with above. The backing plate for the drums would normally take up that thickness. If you make the plate 8mm thick and have the 4mm of slop, just make a 4mm ring to take up the additional distance. It's easiest to make a circlip style spacer so you dont have to press off the bearings
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

Name
    Adam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Sweet thanks guys..

It just seemed odd the bearings stuck out a little bit, but that cleared it all up for me cheers!

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast