Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: G Series & F Series Diff Disc Brake Solutions

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

what your probley feeling isn't so much the increase of unsprung, rather the reduction of spring rate.
    when you increase the unsprung weight you also increase the inertal energy. so when your wheel hits a bump a starts to compress upwards the weight is going to want to contine moving up because of the inertia. so in effect you increase the suspension stoke which is exactally what happens when you reduce spring rates.
    so im guessing that you mabey had the car setup alittle too stiff before with the s series and the diff has more or less bought the springs into a better range. as increaseing unsprung weight is just about the worst thing you can do...(apart from unsprung rotating mass)

anyway back on topic...

Name
    Adz
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I don't like street cars that are setup stiff, I like the car to be enjoyable to drive so I set it up to absorb bumps and have functional suspension. So much so that a little ways down the track now I have changed from the stupid 8/6kg to 6/4.5kg and am loving it. My car doesn't react at all how you are assuming. I have lots more grip and my car doesn't want to go ass out everywhere now !

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^ Thats not fun.. Enjoyable is 8/6 ! For street, want a soft ride? Buy a falcon.
    Just dont aim for pot holes, run 10/8 in my S13 daily... Wouldn't have it any other way.

For brackets you wouldn't want to go any lower the 6061 in T6 temper..

16mm plate steel is absolutely stupid, thats an easy 7 kg / bracket! Why did you go to the effort of lightening axles when you just added it back in with your brackets and then some?

Name
    Adz
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

16mm was the spacing I needed to offset the calipers for them to sit properly. The caliper bracket isnt much larger than an iPhone, it is very far from weighing 7kg.

Taking weight off the axles was a by product of machining them down to fit the process.

I'm making good power, a lot more than most people so being able to not have a tail happy car and have it handling was my priority. It was too stupid with 8/6 and its a dumb rate combo for a street car that is so light.

All I wanted to do was to put up my experience and how I solved the issue at hand and you guys feel like you need to attack me for it, why?
    Last edited by Adsport; 6th November 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Name
    Wayne
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I run a similar setup to you Adsport and I find it more enjoyable to drive then when I had the rock hard spring rates in it

Name
    Adz
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I see your point, I'm just saying that I found that I have a lot more grip now with the setup that I am running. 8/6 left me very annoyed and battered many times, and the other times it was just too scary with the back end breaking out under boost on the fwy .

I certainly didn't expect to be shot at for my experiences and information, espescially after I posted what took me months to come up with what I found was a good solution and think the attitude towards me freely posting valuable information was uncalled for.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Adsport is backing up what every suspension guru I've ever known has taught me. Softness is key.

Anyhow, we are way off topic and now arguing, so lets get back to the brakes.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I wanna talk about suspension too, but I won't.

In other matters, Good news everyone! Memory was wrong, I got all sortsa materials to do analysis with.

So I made a RA40 strut S13 brakeset mount in 8mm 6061. I think I can make the design better by beefing up the areas of high stress but that's not really the prob at the moment. I get a movement of 0.125mm at the edge of the legs. Is this going to be a problem? My gut says it is especially being aluminium. Fatigue and all with ally and that thing will eventually tear off. Not that I know what the fatigue stress vs cycles chart looks like for 6061.

Yeah, so reran it with 2024. Factor of safety went from .45 to .627. and it's really only the outer holes (ones closest to caliper) that are being stressed. Could easily fix it by making the holes bigger and pressing in steel sleeves to distribute the load. I'm also not locating the caliper mount on the centre circle. I'll figure that out when I have more time but that should help the bolt hole situation. Seems that was another software package where I could set those sortsa relations. This one's real quick so you can only fix/restrain it, no sliding/pivoting relations.

Gonna try run another software package I have which is more thorough and see if it has result that's more definitive in giving an answer as to whether 6061 will cut it.

Haha, software package two did a hostile takeover of software one and shut it down.

/blabbering

Name
    Clay
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

good info keep it coming!

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Ran it in other analysis software. Good new is, it's a straight export, bad news is, it has bugger all for materials, structural steel and some other aluminium alloy. Won't tell me what it is but has Material Properties. Could probably make a 2024/6061/7075/1020 from data floating around the net.

Also, when I said, made, I meant I drew.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast