Name
    Daimon
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

Default G Series & F Series Diff Disc Brake Solutions

Hi Guys

Just thought id see what peoples thoughts are about some dic brake solutions for G series (8") and F series (7.5") Disc brake kits.

As it currently sits i have made a few G series brake kits, these kits use two sets of R33 GTST Calipers and r33 GTST Rotors, it includes a Laser Cut & Plated Backing Plate (8mm) Caliper Bolts & Washers and 8x 20mm machined spacers to offset the calipers.

my question is, are people mainly interested in G Series, Or are they interested in a solution for the F series also?

Would people be interested in this kit if it sat around the $249-$299 mark (not including rotors or calipers)
    i can also offer most brands of rotors at great prices that would be re drilled to 4x114.4

Ill post some pictures in a few days.

Thoughts???

Kind Regards
    ---- Fryin Fifth Represent ----

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Well its 4 stud for starters, so Id perfer a kit for my f series that uses an unmodified vented rotor, but not too great a diameter, maybe as big as a stock ae86 front rotor. Then its kind of in proportion with the upgraded fronts people tend to use that fit inside their 15s.

Also, if the outer surface of the caliper sticks out past the axle face with the rotor on top then they would mean most peoples wheels wouldn't fit, like some rx7 front caliper setups can.

Im definitely in the market for something, and there isnt much around for the mx13 diff.

I was just considering buying a wilwood rear caliper with a handbrake function and trying to find a floating vented rotor that fits over the axle plate and has the right stud pattern already, then adapt it.

What handbrake system does the nissan caliper use?

How similar hydraulically is the caliper? What master cylinder bore does it require to feel right?

Do you have pictures?
    Last edited by LittleRedSpirit; 16th October 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Do you retain the drum handbrake of the r33? It doesn't sound like you do, and that would make the system not legal for road use? I'm interested to see what your stuff is like and if you can retain a mechanical handbrake I might be up for the set up.

I've got s13 rear disc and caliper on my f-series but I'm thinking of doing twin rear calipers but still maintaining a mechanical hand brake. I want a twin piston on the rear for handbrake and probably a twin for the foot brake too with a built in handbrake mechanism but I haven't come across a caliper with those requirements. Otherwise I gotta do a single for footbrake or adapt a drum handbrake.

I can currently bolt on rear r33 caliper and disc but I haven't come up with a plan on how to tackle the drum handbrake. I can easily change my cad file to take twin calipers by cutting it in half and mirroring it but yeah... that drum handbrake. I've got the full set up since I bought it all to put on the silvia, just gotta find the time to try and adapt the two.

I'll figure it out one day, if you don't beat me to it.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Matt,
    Skyline and Z32 are drum handbrake, twin piston caliper on the rear, if they're turbo. NA r33 is 4 stud and I think has a single piston not sure about the handbrake mechanism on them. They are mostly BM44 which is 15/16" master.

Silvia is BM38 which is 7/8". Silvia has single piston rear with built in handbrake.

SW20 is vented rotor and has inbuilt handbrake. It's an option if you want vented rear with builtin handbrake.

Oh, and I doubt you'll find a caliper with a hat big enough to fit over the drum mounting surfacing. Me and my mate both got our axle faces trimmed down to fit inside disc. I never seen an MX13 diff so maybe they have a much smaller disc mounting surface. Mate was smart and made his concentric with ID of disc hat so it located on that.
    Last edited by Skylar; 16th October 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Found while digging around.

Gotta upgrade the front to at least 4 pots before putting those on the rear. It'll look stupid otherwise.

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

There is a bracket for G series to use MA70 rear brakes which have same rotor diameter at my wilwood fronts just a bit thinner vented rotor and uses a single piston caliper, and the MA70 internal drum brakes if you want them as well, the bracket was $60 delivered.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Name
    Daimon
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

I have been using this setup with the 4pot RX7 front brakes; they seem to be matched very well.
    No I’m not using any part of the mechanical handbrake, only the hydraulic handbrake lock.

Some handy info there cheers Skylar, as far as being road legal, 90% of these aftermarket parts are not road legal, and I’m finding that most people interested in a big brake option are only using these cars on the track anyway.
    Most people using these size brakes find the R32 BM44 Master Cylinder which has a 23.81mm bore size and works very well.

previously i had been using ST141 Corona brakes with the hydraulic handbrake, i must say the R33 brakes have so much more feel, and the handbrake works every time with very little effort.
    The thicker vented rotor definitely helps if you are doing a few laps, most solid or thinner rotors will experience brake fade or brake rotor warp after little time.

I’ll look into some options as far as keeping a cable handbrake if that’s what people are after?

i was at the fabricators earlier and it looks like i can do these kits cheaper than expected. ill put one together and throw some pics and info up soon.

Keep the questions/info coming
    Last edited by Skid_KE70; 17th October 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Did you mean look into options for a cable handbrake? OR Hydraulic, cause I thought you had hydraulic capabilities with the dual caliper system?

Staying tuned...

Ill measure an axle end plate today from the mx13 diff if that helps.

Name
    Daimon
    State
    Tasmania
    Country
    Australia

Woops, yes Cable operated handbrake... probably the drum type in the disc
    yes that would help thank you

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

The only problem with this conversion is its a track only setup... if using nissan R series callipers you have no cabled hand break.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast