Thread: Safety 21 cages

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Safety 21 cages

Hey I know of Cusco Safety 21, 5 point half cage for sale in good condition at a good price. I'd like to know if they were made differently for the different variations of 86, are the cages different between coupe and hatch or do they fit both?

And before I get flamed, yes I understand I probably don't need a cage, these cages are not able to be Cams approved, and I can probably get a better cage at a reasonable price elsewhere. But for the money, this purely for the wank factor, what of it.

Thanks, Dan.

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

at least your honest

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Cusco cages and Safety 21 were 2 different companies, safety 21 was bought out by Cusco, you will find the Cusco ones are chromoly and the safety 21's are mild steel. They do many different types BUT the important thing to be aware of is the front part of the cage, if it is a 'dash escapement' type it will have a double bend around the dash and will not be allowed to be used in any event sanctioned by cams the through dash type have one bend and are fine, the double bend type can currently be used in drift events but I believe this is changing(or might already of). If you are doing sprints they will not allow the front part of a 'dash escapement'(this is what Cusco call it), but the half cages are fine. If you get a full cage and it has a double bend and want to run it for 'wank factor' when you do a sprint etc just take the front part out. From what you have written it looks like you want a 5 point which is half which will be fine for sprints.
    Hachiroku since 1994

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedSpirit View Post
    When i grow up I wanna be just like Uncle Frak Frak.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Hey Frak thanks heaps, that's really helpful. It's just a 5 point half cage, so no forward legs. Whether or not it's a Pre Cusco one I'm not sure. Do you know if the designs where made to accommodate both coupe and hatch's though, mounting points the same?

I use the term 'wank factor' loosely it probably would be beneficial if I attempt to put the thing on it's lid at some stage around the track or at a hill climb. I have big doubt's bolt in cages do much for body rigidity. But it will only cost me a drive to Warwick, hence wanting it just because I can haha.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Daniel, I don't thin there is a difference in the safety 21/cusco cages between hatch/coupe, they don't extend in to the hatch area and they bot up to the rear arches, which I imagi ne are in the same place. Cusco chromolys are usually painted cusco blue from factory and safety 21s are black, I think you will be suprised how much extra rigidity it adds contrary to popular belief.....
    Hachiroku since 1994

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

are you going to weld in proper mounts to bolt it to? imo the supplied mounts that you bolt underneath the floor are insufficient and would just push through the floor in a bad roll over
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Daniel
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Oh ok I didn't think they would be different. Well this one is black, and looks like it has blue padding, I've only looked at it breifly. Do they really make much of a difference with just the four points? I assumed they wouldn't do that much without gusseting to the body?

I agree with you, I think in a decent roll over they would just push through, if was going to weld it though I'd probably just buy an AJPS weld in. But welding the bottom mounts would still work without having to weld the cage in permanently if I get hassled by the poleece.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

For what it's worth I have the back half of a Safety 21 7 point cage, and call me crazy but I think they do add a little to the cars structure. I've been in a few other Corollas now and they do feel different. Wank factor or not they will aid you in the worse case scenario of rolling and that's why I never got rid of mine.

Name
    Jamie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Tim I totally agree with you, you will feel a difference, as to wether it will do anything in a roll over, over thear years I've seen plenty of dodgy bolt in ally cages that have save cars in roll overs, bit of denting of roof/a pillar, c pillar etc but stopped when it got to cage. Years ago when I fitted a 7 point I had to back off the rear shocks to stop it jumping around over bumps, it didn't do it before the cage went in. Even Porsche use bolt ins :p
    Hachiroku since 1994

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

at worst it would be comparable to a bolt in rear strut brace so i can easily see some benefits of running a bolt in cage even just for rigidity
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast