Thread: Is the old little trueno a good first car for a 20 year old?

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Question Is the old little trueno a good first car for a 20 year old?

Hey guys, I'm currently in uni and living on my own
    just wanted an opinion with the little hachi, i really like this car, wanted one since i was like 13
    But yeah the question i have is that should I buy it as my first car?
    Just recently saved enough money so i can afford one, not trying to build it to racing standard, just a car that I can DD it with no issue
    how much approximately would that cost?

Just generally what are the pros and cons owning it as your first car really, and what are some recommendations you can give me? (considering a N/A supra too)
    But yeah, thanks people

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

They are an awesome car for anyone... First car or last car you won't regret owning one.

Costs really depends on mods / condition etc...

There are some really clean examples getting around for up to 14k with nothing that needs doing on them and there are some not so good ones for allot less. Have a look through the cars for sale on here and i'm sure you will find something.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

pro's: will hold its value, great fun to drive, can be a talking point to meets lots of people, heaps of parts and support through shops and forums, its a car that can evolve with your driving abilitys, good on fuel and decent interior space/practical over a supra.mantinace shouldnt be an issue if yo buy a good car and they are as basic as a efi car can get so you can work on it yourself.
    cons: insurance... if you get a trueno which most likely would be an import you'll have to get insurance with either shannons or just car. seeing as its your first car it's going to cost you above $1000 a year for full comp. maybe rust (depends on car). and you'll proabably want to garage it overnight if you dont want it to get stolen. cant just drive it into the city, get pissed, cab it home and pick it up in the morning.

thats about all i can think of.

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

if you really like the car, you will accept the pros and cons, so just buy one and go with it, you wont know until you know
    dose

Name
    Dwayne
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, i really do like the car.
    I'm really thinking about getting one.
    Another question I have about this, say if i want to make it a DD car.
    How much on top of the original purchase price would I have to pay to make it more "reliable" ?
    My budget is around 15k atm, cos it's pretty hard to save up too much living on my own..haha.

But overall, thanks A lot guys

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

14k would net you a really awesome white levin.... Great car that has been driven daily for a while now.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Christian
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

To be honest there not a very good first car. For example even if you get comprehensive insurance the excess will probably be quite high, chances are you'll have at least one minor accident in you first couple of years of driving. Problem is that parts for the 86 are very hard to find (as in the damage will cost a fair bit to fix). As far as reliability is concerned, its only ever going to be as reliable as how it has been treated. Although you may take good care of the car you have no control over how the past owners treated it. At the end of the day its almost a 30 year old car so to assume that it's going to be as reliable as any 30 year old car is a bit of a stretch.

In terms of making it more reliable the best advice i can give you is buy the best possible car you can afford and don't rush into a purchase. Their not a 'rare' car there will always be 86's for sale.

However despite all I have said, if you really love the 86 all the things i have said will seem insignificant. They are honestly one of the best Japanese sports cars ever made. I defiantly don't regret buying mine

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i would strongly suggest to buy one that is already imported and already has rego, if you cannot find any, they will pop up for sale, and it does not sound like your in a rush so a good one will come by that is for sure!

regards to spending money on making sure it wont break down. it depends what is required with the car you have bought.

From experience, rebuilding alternators and starter motors is a must if its playing up, brand new battery is a must if its already an old one, good to have a second coil ignition that works, thats about it, the rest is pretty simple, if motor eats oil, blows smoke, makes noises/rattles, runs like a dog...complete rebuild will make a world of a difference and save you a lot of money

as for other stuff like gearbox and diffs etc, they usually can last a beating in standard form even if worn out, but good to replace when possible

4ages are either fucked or have been patched up to work just enough or if your lucky has already been rebuilt which will save you a lot of time and money.
    Last edited by Rice86; 7th November 2012 at 05:40 PM.
    dose