State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Question help noob w/1st 4agte 4wd build

Hi guys.
    Jed - Posting from Melbourne
    (PrettyCoolWagon on Toymods).
    cross posting in other forums looking for help..

asked a lot of questions over the years, bought gear, tools, cars and engines etc.. more to go..
    Have 3 corolla AE95 4WD wagons and as many engines but this thread is about a 4AGZE turbo conversion.

Don't know anyone in my immediate area who can lend a hand, re: the finer points of turbo-ing a GZE, so.. until I do.. you guys are it.

So far I've worked alone.. experience is: fitting headers, , dropped out 4afe engine, stripped down 7afe - got some machining done, swapped over rear suspension from one wagon to another, currently doing same with exhaust...
    Back ground is general maintenance and metal fab' ..but I don't know much re: finer points of engine re-building / re-wiring, particularly for turbo.
    Intend to do as much as I can.

Had a few ups n downs ..had to move house and entire workshop, set it all up again halfway through a project, then synchro's went on my daily.. so the daily's getting a GTE.
    Just want to build it and get it back on the road ASAP.

I'll start.. post progress on here and ask questions as I go..

Looking for experienced advice on what order to do things in.. We can get into details as we come to them...
    Read about, fuel pressure reg's, boost guage's, larger fuel pumps, aftermarket ECU's and so on.. but till I get my hands dirty, I don't really know what it all means (exactly..)
    OR what order and process to bring it all together in..

Bought JDM AE92 smallport GZE w/original LSD FWD gearbox attached (will remov and probably sell) ..been fitted out for turbo. (unfinished project.)

Came with 2nd hand Garret T25 and cast top mount turbo manifold (that I don't want..) prefer steam pipe mani..
    Oil return's plumbed into sump ..been fitted out with oil filter re-location using braided hoses and couple of other hoses have been fitted.. adjustments to the water pipe on the intake side.. etc.

Immediate goals.
    Drop out 4afe
    Compression test 4agze
    Get turbz mani made up
    Remove C-series box and fit re-built E-series.. Considering using different gears from another E-series?? Something more streetable. AE95 has very low ratioed 1st and 2nd gears for mud and snow but the wagon won't leave the street.
    Open to discussion on swapping E-seriens internals..

PS: what pic hosting site do most people find easiest to use?

Cheers.
    Jed

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Use photobucket for pics, easy to use etc...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Jed
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

if its got no comp why bother with a leak down

Name
    Jed
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Comp test identifies good or bad compression.
    leakdown test identifies where the problem is:
    intake valves, piston rings, head gasket, exhaust valves.
    Would be good to know.. but anyway..

had a rethink
    Collected a lot of parts over last 2 years.
    4AGTE mentioned above
    virtually another smallport in spares
    an old MR2 bigport
    2 new head gaskets
    2 x sets of bigport piston rings
    various other bits n bobs

Bit tight on $$ at the mo' would like to avoid machine shop costs if possible.
    Hoping what I've got available will get me through.

Strip down soon..

Name
    Tyrone
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

[QUOTE=JedzWagn;912357]Comp test identifies good or bad compression.
    leakdown test identifies where the problem is:
    intake valves, piston rings, head gasket, exhaust valves.
    Would be good to know.. but anyway..

had a rethink
    Collected a lot of parts over last 2 years.
    4AGTE mentioned above
    virtually another smallport in spares
    an old MR2 bigport
    2 new head gaskets
    2 x sets of bigport piston rings
    various other bits n bobs

I would be checking specs on the rings b4 putting them on the gze pistons.
    I would highly recommend at least machining the head once you remove it from the block.
    The pistons are different between the n.a and gze so you will run into trouble if your gze ones are broken.
    Depending on the type of gaskets that you have they may not be suitable for boosted applications.
    Other members will be more knowledgeable since I haven't delved into it all that much like yourself.

Hope you find these tid bits useful.
    Tyrone

Name
    Jed
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Cheers Tyrone,
    Have one triple layered cometic head gasket for GZE and one steel head gasket for GE.
    I know bigport gze rings are different to smallport GZE rings. (cause the pistons ar different)

I've already had my spare GZE smallport ceramic pistons machined to match some 7afe forged con-rods for a 7AGZE project that's on the back burner.. so i can't use them..
    Hopefully the bigport pistons from the MR2 engine are ok.. it'll lower comp a bit but being turbo, that's not such a bad thing and I may be able to buy the thinner 7afe gasket to make up some comp if need be.
    So I guess I can swap a gear box and starter onto the bigport and wire it up to a battery and run a compression test on that motor for now..
    If the botom end is good, I might consider swapping over smallport head, depending on condition.. and then fit up all the turbo running gear.

Cheers

Name
    Jed
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Default decisions decisions..

Removed the head, looks to be blown gasket, not interested in doing full strip down, I'm jack of it.. might just clean up the deck and head surface and re-fit a new gasket.

But It looks like I won't be going turbo straight away.
    Supporting partner and child and partner's looking for new job and I just want this baby back on the road so it's either small port with new gasket or bigport that I just comp tested - showing 180 to 190 PSI on all 4 ..I think we have a winner..

Next question..

To use sc14 or not,, starting to get tired, just want this wagon back on the road ..doesn't need to be perfect at this stage. Also gonna have a crack at fitting up an E58 gearbox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110220131388 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	28208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110220131388.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	28209  

Name
    Jed
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Changed direction guys.. Due to financial and time constraints I decided to go for the most direct option that would get my wagon back on the road as soon as possible.
    Decided to go supercharged for the time being and simply drop in the AW11 motor I had sitting around, bone stock except for a small better flowing nissan FMIC that''d already been made to fit the E90 chassis.
    The engine comp tested between 187 and 195PSI which is good enough for me.

I''m retaining the air con and power steering, so I ''ve had to source various AE101 GZE & 4AGE parts from all over (wreckers and private sellers) to mount power steer, alternator and a/c all on the exhaust side.

Just waiting on A/C compressor to arrive from sydney.
    Then I''ll do a mock up in the engine bay to make sure my factory A/C lines can be gently persuaded to line up and to get all my intercooling piping right.
    Have entered into the 100mm Melbourne event. So pushing hard now to get this done. Taken a week of work leading up to the event.

Sorry - still having trouble posting pics!

Name
    Jed
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Haven't been on here for a while. Reading my thread, I'm a bit dissapointed at how much I to & fro, which brings me to my next point.

I've made up my mind (believe it or not) to go a mild comp 7AGTE using a little T25 garret.

I had the AW11 GZE mated up with all the AE101 GZE brackets (for transvers fwd / 4wd set up)

Was getting close to fitting it all in and decided I didn't like the mod' know as 'grinding the block.

If you look at the attached pic. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20vpan_2_6895.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	28998It's a 20v sump held up to a GZE block.
    It gives a fairly clear indication of how much people grind out of the block. Basically you lose a whole oil pan bolt hole.

So after some more to-ing and fro-ing I decided to bring an unfinished 7A project into the game.

Earlier I was building what I thought would be a 7AGZE for a completely different project. I won't go into it but I literally shelved the idea to work on this project.

So. I'd already stripped down the 7A and got oil squirters machined into the block and everything. Hardened dowels press fit into the crank, forged rods, GZE ceramic pistons etc. you name it. 430cc injectors, new clutch, blah blah blah.

Originally I'd had the 7AFE flywheel drilled to match the steel dowels in the crank, ..but a little backyard researched revealed the corolla 4wd's use a very similar flywheel as the AW11, only 6 bolts vs 8. but the diameters are identical and they accept the same clutches. WIN!

They're also larger than the 7AFE flywheel and both are meant for E-series gearboxes, meaning I didn't have to fuk around mixing and matching pressure plates.
    Scored a brand new heavy duty AW11 3puck racing clutch at a good price too.

So now all this gear's at the engine builders along with ARP everything.. They'll hone it, assemble it, check oil squirter clearance, balance the crank, ..then the flywheel and harmonic balancer.

Will be using a port matched 16v head and custom intake/exhaust with 3sgte TB. yet to be fabbed up.
    Dude some of you might know named CaseyG up in Albury region has offered to help out there..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	220620132900.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	29000
    So starting to feel like less of a noob now even though I haven't finished a conversion yet.
    Started tinkering around with an E153 gearbox from a camry V6. "ah-huh.." Yeah a bit ambitous for a noob, but I researched it, like the ratios and..

It's FWD and I've set myself the ginormous task of converting it to 4wd!
    Have some good experienced advisers on hand. Hit a road block removing a 'staked nut' ..this weeks present to self - battery powered """RATLLLE_GUNNN"""

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	120620132777 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	29001
    Last edited by JedzWagn; 24th July 2013 at 12:01 AM.