Thread: HOW TO: ADM Fuel tank to suit efi

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default HOW TO: ADM Fuel tank to suit efi

hey guys this is my first write up on how i went about converting my ADM 86 Fuel tank to suit the efi setup
    id appreciate any criticism comments or advice mods feel free to reformat

ok as you all have probably seen i started with standard ADM fuel lines and tank

Shoping list
    2.5m of 6mm fuel line
    2m of 8mm fuel line
    3m of 4mm fuel line
    6x 6mm male barb fittings with taper thread
    3x 8mm female barb fittings with taper thread
    Ryco z373 efi fuel filter or cooper ws373
    6 1/2'' copper washers
    16 or so hose clamps

i started my project off by sourcing a nissan silvia s13 fuel sender unit as it had insulated wires and a pump already

(not my photo sourced from nissan silvia.com)
    on the bracket opposite the fuel pump drill through the braising on the fuel level sender and bend it around until it comes off. i don't have a pic of this as i didn't think to take one at the time.

as sourcing a jdm tank would be more expensive than its worth
    i took the fuel tank and sender to zammit engineering () they gave me permission to post their name* the owner has been building fuel tanks for years.
    these guys were great they measured up the silvia fuel bracket fit perfectly inside the tank they welded in a swirl pot some magnets to pick up any rust particles that might be floating around inside your fuel tank and pressure/leak tested the fuel tank.

Here you can see the completed tank setup

swirl pot inside the fuel tank and silvia bracket installed. *note you can see the drill holes where the sender was removed*

i supplied the tank to them with the analogue fuel sender unit installed as i am going digital i had to make some bends in the float so that it would clear the baffle.

when i got the tank home i bolted it up to check the clearances, if it didnt fit zammit would have made adjustments to the tank for me. The tank cleared just fine with about a hand worth of space above it.

after comfirming the tank was ready to be used i started to tackle the fuel lines
    i had a look at the ADM Fuel lines and this is how i decided to rig the pump up

i then needed to source an efi fuel filter that would suit my adm lines as i didnt have any screw fittings on the hard lines.
    i picked out the barb fittings that i needed and spend several hours opening box after box of fuel filter trying to find one i could screw a barb fitting into. ryco z373 was perfect and in a stroke of luck it also sat perfectly in the adm fuel filter bracket.

this is a pic of the plumbing in the engine bay fully set up with arrows pointing to where each line runs to.
    its a little unclear from the pic but the line running from the top of the fuel filter runs to the injector rail
    the line on the bottom of the filter runs to the send line
    the breather line runs up to the 4mm line sitting right next to the fuel rail.

the banjo fitting on the fuel rail was cut and a barb fitting to suit a 6mm line was fitted (mine was cut really close to the banjo you can cut it anywhere)

when i came to do the rear section of the fuel lines i had overlooked the fact that the silvia fuel sender had 8mm lines running out of it so i used barb fittings to scale down the size to suit my hard lines.

and that's it my fuel setup completed on a budget
    please comment on the setup if you feel i should have done something differently as this is my first guide
    and before you ask the car isn't complete so i'm not sure how effective this setup is

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Good write up, much better than using the commodore hangers... I'll add some of pics of what i've done with my setups and ae82 / bosch pumps.

Thanks for sharing.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

that would be good gives people more options as to how else it can be setup depending on what parts they may have just laying around or depending on the availability.

Name
    Paul
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Not a bad write up mate, just a few things though,
    a r33 fuel filter will fit perfectly with the exception of a adaptor which is a 6mm to 8mm fuel lline
    And from what I can see, the fuel line fittings you have made right on top of the alternator is not a great idea. If that fitting leaks or comes off for some reason, will more than likely catch on fire

Name
    Leo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

some people run 8mm hose to the engine bay, but never had fuel flow problems with the 6mm copper with a 4age
    30kw club

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey mate, I love that in tank surge setup. How much did they charge you for the work they did? I'd send my tank down to avoid a messy under car surge tank.

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

@ wideslider all up it was 450 but its quiet and when he finished he showed me the swirlpot in action throwing the tank around hard and it was still full of fluid inside and when it returned to resting filled up what little it lost almost straight away. its a little expensive but i really didnt like the idea of a surge tank at all

@sawyer that line that runs above the alternator is the standard 86 fuel routing but my banjo hose was cut so i used a barb fitting until i could afford a replacement banjo piece.

im using 6mm fuel hose in the engine bay the r33 skyline uses 8mm and i believe the fuel filter would also be 8mm fitting, hence why i had to use a barb fitting that would allow me to use 6mm fuel hose without having to use barb fittings after the filter.

the reasoning for the barb fittings is so that i have a air/fuel tight adaptor to go from 8mm hoses to 6mm hoses. as the adm 86 only has 6mm fuel lines. the jdm 4age's use a 8mm banjo fitting into the fuel rail and a 6mm return i dont have those lines which is why i used the barb fittings to scale the hosing down to 6mm wherever needed.
    the barb fittings im using are to suit an 8mm i.d hose male with a 6mm i.d female on the other end, they have a taper thread meaning they seal themselves off (according to the bloke at purle pig) so i don't think its likely to leak with a hose clamp on it. not discounting your advice tho good spot ill swap to a 6mm banjo hose fitting

i need a replacement fuel pressure regulator as mine is seized and i can fully test the system for any leaks or drips but until then i have no real way of knowing
    Last edited by z_brutalis; 23rd November 2012 at 05:33 AM.

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

sorry for the late updates guys i ran the system under pressure ramping it up on a variable fuel pressure valve and left the pump running for an hour or so.
    no leaks what so ever

engine fires up perfectly even though there is very little fuel in the tank and tried it around one or two corners (no exhaust for the moment so to loud to really play to much) no surging or popping so seems to have done the trick

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

The picture may look deceptive, but how does the fuel get into the swirl pot once the fuel level gets below the height of the pot?

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

well even with the factory setup you would be in a bit of trouble if you were at that point anyhow but there is a hole drilled on two corners one large one for low level fuel pickup and a smaller one which allows for fuel to be picked up without flowing out to much.
    basically the setup relies on high and low pressure where the fuel will flow through the holes at the bottom when the pot is empty fuel rushes in as the surrounding pressure from the fluid tried to fill out the space.
    the fuel pump return also dumps right next to the pickup acting as a buffer of sorts when fuel is pulled away from the pump.

but you'd be in trouble if you were lower than the pickup's on the swirlpot, even with the best setup possible
    basically i made sure that there would still be fuel getting to the swirlpot even when the fuel level is below empty on the guage but lets be honest we shouldn't be worrying about that
    Last edited by z_brutalis; 11th November 2013 at 10:37 AM.