Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alternator issue - SR20det

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

sweet I'll give it a crack and report back in a day or 2..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

got around to doing some tests, the S terminal (bigger white wire) is getting 12v, the signal wire/dash light doesn't seem to be getting any power but I only tested with the keys on, not running and was done with the plug disconnected.
    I'm not sure what is supposed to going on in that regard...?

Also the fuse that keeps blowing gets the same voltage reading as the battery, so its obviously connected, but doesn't seem to affect the running of the car when its not there.

I'm thinking its just another busted alt, since the faggot who sold it to me won't reply to me, even when he said he has another he'd give me if it doesn't work...

Any other ideas before I go to the hassle of pulling it out again and replacing it?

Any techniques to bench test an alternator/its components??
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

If your using a bulb circuit tester it should light the tester dimly on the "L"pin with igniton on...or alternatively you should get a low voltage reading on it...how many alts have ya now? is it a bitch to pull out? i could open them and have a look but testing is limited unless ya can spin them, if ya want and if i finish in the workshop tomorrow you could run what alts ya have up to me in Capalaba and i could pop them open and tell ya whats what in them...

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I was using both test light and volt meter, didn't get a reading from either... I've got 3, one still on the car, real #### to take out but will prob do it over the weekend...

I was thinking if I put the alt's in my vice and rigged up my drill to spin them if there was anything I could test?
    Can you offer a rebuild on one of them for a reasonable cost? (or do you do something else for a crust now days?) might go down that path if its not too exy

Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

And you say the charge light is working on yeah? thats strange,amybe your missing something tho. Am I dunno,could give it a go maybe with a mains dril to get the rpm up...you'd want 6 or 700 at very minimum to excite the alt id say? To be honest i havent touched an alternator or starter in nearly 2 years...but we do have accounts with ashdowns so if parts are available i could no issues...Ya need to make sure its not wiring first tho i guess..!

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeah charge light is working, I honestly don't think it's the wiring as its been running for the past 2 years without hassle, just had the one dead alt about 8 months ago and now its failed/playing up as well...
    If you don't mind, can you look into the availability of the parts to do a full rebuild on one and get back to me via pm with a price to do so if your willing.... I'm tossing up the decision to buy a new/rebuilt alt on ebay for $200 but if I can get it done cheaper I'd be keen, need to get the beast back on the street asap, hate only having one car to rely on ...

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

well to update my situation, I have just sourced another 2nd hander alt, chucked it in and after a quick blip of the throttle it kicked into life, still charging at 14.9 - 15.2 volts but it seems like its working...... I guess this is just normal for sr alternators?

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

so after a day or 2 of driving Ive noticed that cranking is weak (as if the battery is half flat) once it kicks and is given a rev the alt brings everything up to speed and it runs fine... (this was why I thought the alternator was fucked in the first place) The battery is not too old, less than 2 years, its a sealed Aldeco unit, so shouldn't be stuffed.
    My only thoughts are that maybe the higher voltage the alt is/was putting out has buggered the battery over the last year or 2?
    I did read a disclaimer on the battery saying maximum charge voltage is 13.2V which I thought was a bit odd for an automotive battery...

any thoughts?

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

no one feel like chiming in?

Name
    Vinh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Have you tried doing a parasitic draw test? Let's say for argument's sake that the alternator isn't the problem and you're having a current draw coming from another component and the alternator is struggling to keep up with keeping the battery charged.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast