Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Alternator issue - SR20det

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I can't say I have, but its crossed my mind, but even after driving for a while and turning it off and re starting soon after it still feels like the battery has jack all charge, can't think of anything that would suck the juice out of it so quick and also it would be dead flat after a day or 2 if it was draining it so fast.... I had this problem when I bought the car, it used to drain the battery over a day a day or 2, was a an easy fix as a relay was just wired wrong....

Whats the best way to test if a battery is shot without actually replacing it?
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Vinh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

You could bring it down to your local mechanic and ask them to test the battery for you. They use this really nifty tester which you can buy yourself for about 500 mate. Provides a cca reading and voltage too. A parasitic draw test would be good for isolating the problem to one component if at any that is.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

sweet, cheers for your input mate..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

Name
    Vinh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

No worries. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ok fairly sure Ive got to the bottom of the issue, took the pig down to battery world today to see if they would replace my battery under warranty, not quite as it needed to be sent to the supplier for testing, but he did give me a good battery to use in the meantime which was appreciated.

Testing it there showed the alt charging at nearly 15v (already knew this) so I'm fairly certain the previous alt I had in there was also charging high like this and has fucked the battery, so Ive changed the alt thinking it was the problem (still kind of is) but it was the battery all along, but obviously due to the alt charging at too high a voltage......

Will see how my luck goes with warranty claim..... ......

Anyone know if sr alts often have issues with the regulators? seeing as the one that I just threw in is doing the same as the old one......

Name
    Vinh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I've never had a problem with SR20 alternators. CA18 however, I've had one come up with a current draw which sucked the life out of the battery overnight. I do have a dead SR20 alternator in my workshop though. Gonna pull it apart sometime and diagnose the problem. When I get down to it, I'll let you know how it goes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4