Thread: W5X to 4AGE Bell housings

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default W5X to 4AGE Bell housings

Hey Lads, Just popping this up here to see if it is worth pursuing. I have to purchase one of these bellhousings and figure I would give a mate a call to see how much it would be for him to cast up some extra's. I realise that there are a number of options but they all pretty much have to come from OS and aren't cheap.

The blank casting would run out to about $400 and then machining the faces and drilling the holes on top of that which would probably be another $100ish. I would only do one sort which would be drivers side clutch fork and big enough to take the 225mm flywheel.

Do you think that this is worthwhile doing? There will be a fair bit of work for me to get the mould sorted and then by rights I would probably have to test a couple of the castings for shrinkage to ensure that they are ok but apart from that they should be ok.

Neil said that he can use different alloy for extra strength if need as well as heat treat it but I am not sure that would be worth the additional cost.

Anyway let me know, I would probably need to have 5-6 people interested to make the first run viable then after that we should be able to make them as we need.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Being that Niteparts Bellhousings (supposedly the best ones to use) are listed as $649 NZD on their site, if you managed to do yours for $500-$600ish, I'd be definitely keen. I am looking to upgrade my T50 in the near future so hopefully some more people can get on board and help see this thing succeed
    4K > 5K > Worked 5K > 4AGE > 146RWKW 4AGTE > 210KW SR
    Alex's 4AGTE KE70
    Rest In Peace Old Faithful Corolla-Taken Too Soon 2006-2013...
    Or so was thought...
    Now with a new lease on life will be back bigger and better!

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah there is going to be a bit of sunk cost in all of this because the one that I buy will have to stay with Neil as the pattern. I am really just interested in doing it to see if it can be done and because I like a challange. The other option I was thinking of was to make up a jig that I can use to cut and shut the T50 and W58 bell housings. I might do that for a start because if that works I can use it as the mould template and I won't be $500 out of pocket straight up.

Cheers
    Paul

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I'm keen to see these bellhousings available, though is a W58 the right box to be developing it for? I'm not saying don't use the w58, but that has always been "the" box to use for the past 10 years or so... Is there something better now? The day will come where the w58's are almost impossible to get.

What sort of time frame would you be looking at before these would be available? or is it just worth organising a group buy on the niteparts ones and getting someone in Aus to stock them?
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Alex
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I think I have seen somewhere a company doing 4A > MX5 gearbox adaptors before. Not sure if they are worth looking into (strength vs cost?) Also, does a Nissan gearbox have any chance of working?

One other option might be to develop an adaptor plate to mate the 4A bellhousing to W series/other box. I know I have seen other people with this setup, but I honestly don't know who does that kit.
    4K > 5K > Worked 5K > 4AGE > 146RWKW 4AGTE > 210KW SR
    Alex's 4AGTE KE70
    Rest In Peace Old Faithful Corolla-Taken Too Soon 2006-2013...
    Or so was thought...
    Now with a new lease on life will be back bigger and better!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

az customs already does an adapter kit outta tassie , it isn't cheap though...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ok so have been looking at this a bit more. i have just dropped some coin to buy a bell housing. I will use.that and my spare block to make a jig to facilitate a cut and shut bell housing. from there i can use.that as the pattern for more blanks or just do cut and shut on an exchange basis.

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Leen in Ireland do a 6 speed conversion from a is200/rx8/mx5/s15. a few guys in aus have bought the kit as far as im aware but it is no where near the price you are trying to make one for. but i agree that if you can use a newer box, especially a 6 speed for those with 4.7 cw+p would be a good seller
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I will see how i go with this one for a start and if i don't stuff it up i will look at other options from there.

Name
    Tyrone
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Put me down a keen depending on time frame, I've seen threads where others have attempt this only to take years and end up falling through.
    Having said that happy to put down cash if this is definitely is going ahead.

The idea is that these gearboxes don't break when mated with our little engines. so really it would more be a case of is there more 86s or w5x gearboxes?.. i think you'll find it's the later especially when the w58? has been used as recently as 2005 behind the lexus is300. < not 100% on that, info from wiki.... hmmmm. but they have had recentish applications regardless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast