Thread: Camshaft timing expertise

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default Camshaft timing expertise

I have got my head around it, or so I think, but some help and advice would be appreciated. So if anyone can give me a hand let me know!

Name
    Andrew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey Tim?,
    I installed 264's in my s13 SR20DET. Different engine and aspiration. I must have read all the online content there is available. What in particular is it you are interested in?
    Andrew.
    Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did. This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

FYI I've read your other post.

Not sure if it's off the mark but I'll comment of what looks like you are still unsure of until I hear from you.

Don't forget it's a 4 stroke engine, so you sort of use 2 TDC's and 2 BDT's. It is a 720' full cycle.
    The

I HIGHLY recommend you degree your cams. IMO your inlet closing and exhaust opening (most important events) can not be set accurately via CAM CENTRELINES or any other way other than dialing them.

This is an interesting way of dialing in cams. Not the most accurate.

If you want some links to stuff that will help you understand it I have lots of them.
    Just because someone goes fast doesn't mean you should do whatever you think they did. This path assumes they knew what they were doing, which isn't necessarily the case. Take this path and you will be guaranteed second place.

Name
    Tim?
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Thanks mate, I've had a read through a few more write-ups and have got the gist of it. There were a few that were very over the top in regards to technique and mechanical method, I guess someone with great skills but non in fluent writing!

I was confused on which TDC, I have now discovered that it needs to be on the end of the exhaust stroke, cam lobes on #1 facing each other.

The cams don't have to be exactly spot on as I still want to put the car on a dyno, but near as TRD spec as possible.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Great to hear you've cleared things up.
    When you get it on the dyno, see if you can get print outs of each run. As you know there isn't a lot of practical info out there, just loads of technical/theory.
    It would help many others looking at doing the same thing. I would, & I'm sure many others would be interested in seeing the power curve changes in relation to cam timing.

Name
    Jon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

When i get some more cams you can do mine

Ok
    Name
    Seamus
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i used the kelford tech article to do mine (and others). seems to work pretty well. fairly well written too

4AGE & 7AGE Forged Connecting Rods - Lightweight Flywheels - And Much More

^ Clicky clicky!

Name
    Andrew
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

That's one of the ones I read up on too. Some information you find is invaluable. Some is not worth the time you spent reading it.

Refer to the:
    at the end. Couldn't agree more.