Thread: Oil For My gt86

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Holden have had 15k service intervals for close to a decade now. Does the or every 6 months caveat still apply?
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Blake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Vw has 15k/12 month intervals too, they can do this due to the high quality of oil.
    A crafter on the other hand has 30k/12 month intervals as it has the same oil but 9L of it.

We get cars in which go 20-25k between services and never have had a problem with them.

So if you intend on leaving your 86 standerd, as in no major mods like turbos, go to Toyota and get the genuine oil for it. Toyota and Subaru would have invested thousands of dollars to manufacture the perfect oil for it. Don't let anybody mislead you and say its shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    Id explain more but there people on here I dont like, and i want to see this shit on thsir supposedly awesome masterfully built but stock power making 20v
    bursting ovaries since 92'

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah all good, on the other hand my missus my09 liberty gt spec b had a service interval of 12.5k, without my knowledge she was servicing it closer to 15k and it spun a big end bearing before 100,000

She doesn't drive it hard either.

So whilst I realise the warranty will still cover me, I would prefer not to damage the motor if there are some skid pan sessions + super sprints and motorkhana in that first 15k.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Subaru is renowned for spinning bearings if the oil gets low...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Easy solution, check your oil every now and then like you should be doing anyway.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Regardless of the oil that is in the engine, letting it go over 10K is a sin on my books.
    Regular services at 7-8K, even when using a good oil, I can notice an engine becoming noisier and "restricted" via friction as it gets up to 10k old.
    I believe regular doses of clean, fresh oil provide the least expensive maintenance an owner can give an engine.
    In aircraft horizontally opposed engines (boxer) the oil and filter is changed every 50hrs.

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I do my landcruiser every 2.5k but oil is free so yeah, haha. Do my old mans camry every 5k.

Also make sure you ask what oil they're using because I know a dealership that I may or may not work at that only uses 10w30 in everything now that is designed for the VVTI engines not that it will probably matter in the 86 but they get old land cruisers in sometimes and just get told to use that oil, I use oil from hino for the diesel trucks in my cruiser so its good.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

And that's the problem with workshops... They will generally have 44's or whatever filled with eg. A 10w40 and they will use that in every engine, even if The manufacturer specs different.
    For them it's about cost, not what your engine actually needs.

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

This one has huge tanks 2 of them full, it is good oil and most of the new diesels to specify a very similar grade oil so I suppose its not too bad. You can still always buy the bottles of oil from a Toyota parts department but would probably be at your cost because of the capped price servicing.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Name
    Glenn
    State
    Queensland
    Country
    Australia

not all workshops do that, just the small backyarder type operations would do that. where i work we have to stock a huge range of different oils so we use the correct grade of oil required by whatever vehicle it may be, otherwise it will upset warrantys ect if something were to go wrong and it came back to us putting in the wrong oil or oil grade. you wont upset your factory warranty by having serviced by non dealer mechanics, but they must use the correct grade of oil and folllow the log book service guide. i am suprised about the other comments refering to a toyota dealer throwing the wrong oil in cars, how would they sort out warranty hassles if something went wrong and it came back to them putting in the wrong oil?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast