Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Exclamation JDM Wiring harness/loom......WTF

Ok I will start at the start.
    I just began ripping into my engine bay to begin removing the engine and full wiring loom & ecu. Now I'm not 100% positive on the way my 86 was originally converted, but I know its an ADM with a full JDM engine set-up, it was converted way back in the day.
    Now this is the first question, (I'm guessing yes here) that the wiring loom is a match to the engine, aka: the loom that would be originally in a JDM car? it looks factory and what not. . .
    I ask that because (as I don't have anything to compare with) as I began tearing shit apart I got in a bind when I realized that the headlight wiring and other random shit is all intertwined and fucking with my progress. I don't want to take anything out apart from the engine loom (and in one piece also)

A 20v will be taking its place, I have the complete loom for this (which still needs modding for RWD), it has the fuse box that would sit in front of the passenger strut tower in an 86, (which is where I got to and realized my dilemma
    I'm not sure but it could have the headlight wiring in it also...? can this be utalised or is it useless in an 86 application if so?

If it makes any difference I will be using a razorback to run it.

Basically I have NFI and have come to the conclusion that wiring is the ultimate gheyness...

all Help appreciated

Beerhead/Brad --> if your still floating about man and you happen to read this, swing me a pm if your still doing loom mods - cheers
    Last edited by NIZLAH; 4th January 2009 at 06:06 PM.
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

BENT MECHANIX - Garage 20:

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i pulled my 86 loom apart today. Theres like 3 or 4 main peices. Headlights and washer and fusebox and the like cam out seperate.

Mine has some sort of bigport loom in it. If yours is jdm wouldnt it unplug?

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

hmm, well yeh I was expecting it to 'just unplug' but it seems that its not the case. I cant see why it has wires from the engine part of the loom running into the headlight part of the loom that runs across/under the rad support. wtf..
    ------------------>>>Need something welded locally??? Hit me up, I may just be able to help<<<------------------

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

So it looks as if everything is connected together....
    Wtf do I do? what do I need to leave from the 16v loom and will I be able to set the lights and everything up from the 20v loom?
    anyone who has undertaken this conversion please shed light on the right way to go about this...

much appreciated.
    Niz.

Name
    Dimitri
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

its not all connected on a jdm ae86 4age engine loom. it has the wiper circuit integrated, but you can ignore that and use the adm loom.

i think what youre talking about is just the alternator wiring, or maybe just where the engine loom is getting power from.

you really need to post pics, but either way, you have a few options.

if its really butchered. maybe try to source a new head light loom, and start from scratch. its un liklely this is neccesary. probably just cut the engine loom away from the body loom, and patch it up, or use whatever sub circuits have been created to power your new loom.

obviously you want to sell on the 16v loom complete, but its not uncommon/unreasonable to buy/sell a loom that has been cut out of a car in 1 or 2 points.

Name
    Nathan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

all your 'body wiring should be able to be left in the car like a 4ac ADM AE86.

I would completly remove the 20v fuse box , because most of the fuses/relays are for the 'body' components of the vehicle, which the AE86 fusebox is already on top of.

Here is a basic list of the wiring connections that need to be made from the AE/KE Body loom to the 4age loom to make a proper working sytem.

Oil pressure
    Water temp
    Tacho
    Starter motor
    Alternator > battery
    'Charge' light wire
    Ignition(from relay)
    Battery+
    fuelpump signal wire(to relay)
    thermo fan signal(to relay)

HEAPS of plugs on the 20v loom are unnessessary and can be removed. you will need to extend parts of the loom to reach the ecu/battery etc. on the AE86.

I hope some of this info is helpful!

Name
    Niz
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yeh cheers for the help Dim and Sprinter86, So Im thinking now I can just snip the wires that are going into the main part of the headlight wiring, I'm guessing these wires are for the dash (various things like tacho, oil pressure and what not) Although I could be completely wrong, Dim I know I'm not getting it confused with the alternator wiring as this is in a separate conued running under the motor, so thats one thing I can rule out....

All this makes me think to that its not a factory loom (although looks it)