Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well the project is no longer at a standstill:

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Well, I have spent the last couple of days working out at . Made some pretty decent progress. SR is out of the Z and I have started pulling it down and cleaning it up a little while I wait for a few bits for it. Also will be getting some custom engine mounts made up and taking some measurements for modifying the tunnel to accommodate the SR bell-housing. Anyway, here are a couple of quick progress pics:

Could rename it 'SR conversion Garage'

Motor looks mint:

now that the motor is out and being prepped to go in the 86 I guess this might cue the truck motor jokes...

Anyway, huge shout out to , they are well known for doing it right and I really appreciate all the help I am getting.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So, some of my parts have arrived:

This means we have started getting the motor ready to 'drop' in. So as sighted in my last post the exhaust is off, the turbo has been removed for the manifold and the T28R is being fitted up. I have also removed the water top pipe and inserted the . The has also been fitted. I have to say I wish that 4A's had the same ability to remove the oil block and simply bolt on an aftermarket sandwich plate like these. The last two parts are items and they are top notch! Very happy with them.

The oil block comes with both AN #10 lines and push on outlets as well, which is handy (will be using the AN #10 gear for those who are interested).

Also popped off the cam cover to look at how to install the rocker arm stoppers. You can see the newly fitted 550cc injectors (opted to run the factory rail in the end).

Obviously haven't been bolting any crazy mods on as I want to keep the motor relatively stock. As the motor looks in great nick I am also aiming to keep it looking stock and will be replacing the factory turbo heat shielding etc too. For the moment I just need my sump and clutch to arrive then I will be just about ready to start the test fitting process.

Speaking of which, I had have a look and provide some advise on tunnel mods so that everything will look neat and remain strong. looking forward to the idea of starting to put things back together, even though I know there is a lot left to do!

Cheers

-Robbo

Current Cars:

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Whos the bozo that went nuts with the gasket goo?

Name
    MAL
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Nice one, I'm glad you are ahead of me on this conversion, makes my learning curve a little less worrying keep the updates flowing!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

After my first look at the standard SR20 sump it was plain that it is simply inadequate...

We had a chance to fix that this afternoon and now the bottom of the engine looks something like this:

If it were to stay this way around I reckon the engine would look like a mildly retarded ET or hammerhead shark...

Current Cars:

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Oh Robbo, that was classic!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Things have gone a little quite as I had run out of monies for a bit there

Anyway, I have now ordered some bushes, balljoints etc for the front end from our lovely site sponsor .

While waiting for them to arrive I gave in to my a bit... As some of you may know from previous builds of mine I have a tenancy to clean things beyond any functional requirements...

..This time I kept reminding myself that it was a track car and didn't need to be too pretty, so I wasn't quite as anal as I normally would be, but probably still well and truly more than most people would bother with.

Anyway, there was oil and sludge build up, particularly on the engine crossmember and steering rack and I cleaned them all up.

I figure one disadvantage of only using the car on the track is you get less opportunity to diagnose problems, so if everything starts off clean and with a new coat of paint then tracking down any leaks etc should be much easier... Well, that's what I kept telling myself anyway...

So anyway, things are cleaner now: (getting new tie rod ends, so didn't bother with them)

Also refitted Engine Crossmember, Castor arms and brackets and swaybar arms and brackets (after a clean)

Maxhag also lined up an interested party for the Z and today we reached a deal which will pay for a decent clutch and possibly stretch out to cover the fabrication of engine mounts too! Then all I need is an SR bellhousing and we will be able to start lining things up and cutting!

Fun!

Current Cars:

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Tomei Rocker Stoppers installed.....

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast