Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

OK, so I kinda accidentally bought the second ever...

...To explain:

A little over a year ago I entered Wakefield Drift Matsuri in my old . Whilst it was a good all-round package, it really didn't have enough power to link up Wakefield in the dry. . Then I got to drive MaxHag's , the difference in power was amazing and I fell in love with the Gready Type S suspension. After that day I had to have a real hard think about where I wanted to go from there.

I had built that AE86 to use as a daily as I was intending to take my old z32 off the road for some preventive maintenance and to freshen it up a little. This had become unnecessary though, as I had instead traded it in on an EVO VII. With the Evo now fulfilling the role of daily, I had two reliable 'daily drivers' (that I couldn't drive at the same time) and an itch for a dedicated drift car. Most people would have simply bought a turbo etc and further modified their car. But, as what I had built was a great street package, I really didn't want to take it apart. Furthermore, I didn't want to waste a clean JDM sunroof shell as a track car. I decided the best way forward was to sell up and start fresh with a granny spec ADM body. The plan became to buy a JDM S15 SR20DET, stick it in an ADM shell, in front of an SR to RB box into an F series diff. That meant I would have a reasonably fresh motor that already had injectors and a ball-bearing turbo into a quite sturdy drivetrain. IE reliable bake.

After selling my car back in August I was on the hunt for a new shell. The problem I found was that everyone who owned a stock ADM ae86 seemed to think that it was worth the same as one with a 4age conversion (and sometimes even more). I went and looked at about 6 cars (and looked over loads of photos of others), and sure enough, despite being listed as 'rust free', most of them had some serious '' and/or ''. . To top it off, some of these cars were as far away as Perth and FNQ, and yet there was a listing in Castle Hill (about 30 minutes from where I work) that I had been intentionally ignoring...

...After some serious price reduction I decided I had to at least go and have a look.
    It was ugly.

Really ugly.

But then I crawled around on my hands and knees and saw this:

I also found that when I was lying there under the car I could pretend it didn't look so bad...

Then I looked in the engine bay...

Actually a very tidy conversion. The engine literally sat lower than 4ages tend to sit. And some really high quality parts (turbo, wastegate, coil packs, BOV)... A lot of potential...

Then I got into it:

Someone had obviously put a lot of time an effort into an interior that didn't appeal to me at all...

Anyway, long story short: It all worked! The car had plenty of pick-up, stopped pretty well but was far too pimp spec to be my cup of tea.

So I went home and did some math. If I was willing to strip out the parts in this car I could get a decent straight shell for a quite decent price. It was pretty much at this point that Project Ugly Duckling was born.

The deal was done, the car taken home and then work decided it was a great time to send me away for a few weeks. The good news is that now I am back and the car's transformation into a Black Swan has begun!

Cheers,
    -Robbo
    Last edited by ae8zn6; 4th October 2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot one!

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!