Thread: Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Project Ugly Duckling. SR86. 'Haters gunna hate, Tyres gunna bake'

OK, so I kinda accidentally bought the second ever...

...To explain:

A little over a year ago I entered Wakefield Drift Matsuri in my old . Whilst it was a good all-round package, it really didn't have enough power to link up Wakefield in the dry. . Then I got to drive MaxHag's , the difference in power was amazing and I fell in love with the Gready Type S suspension. After that day I had to have a real hard think about where I wanted to go from there.

I had built that AE86 to use as a daily as I was intending to take my old z32 off the road for some preventive maintenance and to freshen it up a little. This had become unnecessary though, as I had instead traded it in on an EVO VII. With the Evo now fulfilling the role of daily, I had two reliable 'daily drivers' (that I couldn't drive at the same time) and an itch for a dedicated drift car. Most people would have simply bought a turbo etc and further modified their car. But, as what I had built was a great street package, I really didn't want to take it apart. Furthermore, I didn't want to waste a clean JDM sunroof shell as a track car. I decided the best way forward was to sell up and start fresh with a granny spec ADM body. The plan became to buy a JDM S15 SR20DET, stick it in an ADM shell, in front of an SR to RB box into an F series diff. That meant I would have a reasonably fresh motor that already had injectors and a ball-bearing turbo into a quite sturdy drivetrain. IE reliable bake.

After selling my car back in August I was on the hunt for a new shell. The problem I found was that everyone who owned a stock ADM ae86 seemed to think that it was worth the same as one with a 4age conversion (and sometimes even more). I went and looked at about 6 cars (and looked over loads of photos of others), and sure enough, despite being listed as 'rust free', most of them had some serious '' and/or ''. . To top it off, some of these cars were as far away as Perth and FNQ, and yet there was a listing in Castle Hill (about 30 minutes from where I work) that I had been intentionally ignoring...

...After some serious price reduction I decided I had to at least go and have a look.
    It was ugly.

Really ugly.

But then I crawled around on my hands and knees and saw this:

I also found that when I was lying there under the car I could pretend it didn't look so bad...

Then I looked in the engine bay...

Actually a very tidy conversion. The engine literally sat lower than 4ages tend to sit. And some really high quality parts (turbo, wastegate, coil packs, BOV)... A lot of potential...

Then I got into it:

Someone had obviously put a lot of time an effort into an interior that didn't appeal to me at all...

Anyway, long story short: It all worked! The car had plenty of pick-up, stopped pretty well but was far too pimp spec to be my cup of tea.

So I went home and did some math. If I was willing to strip out the parts in this car I could get a decent straight shell for a quite decent price. It was pretty much at this point that Project Ugly Duckling was born.

The deal was done, the car taken home and then work decided it was a great time to send me away for a few weeks. The good news is that now I am back and the car's transformation into a Black Swan has begun!

Cheers,
    -Robbo
    Last edited by ae8zn6; 4th October 2014 at 01:04 PM. Reason: forgot one!

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Day One

Black Swan eh?

Let's get rid of some Red.

Despite a few people trying to convince me to keep the red, its going.

First off I ordered a sample of Gloss Black Car wrap vinyl. Instead of trying to do a panel straight away I figured I should see how closely the colours matched

Not too bad!

Only problem is the slight 'material tape' texture you can see up close under the wrong light.

Thing is I noticed a problem on the rest of the car under certain light...

If you look REALLY closely at the bottom of the rear bar you can just make out that !!! But the vinyl seems to have matched well! So I think it will be a go-er.

If you look at the car from front on (and can't see much red) it actually looks OK.

OK, now that atheistics were out of the way, it was time to start the real first step of any ground up build: Pull everything off the car!

That is the I've had on any of my cars! In this photo I added a picture of Mount Rushmore (for Scale):

It is a shame to pull this turbo out as it made the most satisfying induction whistle!

Anyway, that's all for now. I will continue to pull things off the car whilst I am on break, so stay tuned!

Also, I will need to start moving parts on to help finance the rest of the build, so you can expect some for sale threads/ eBay auctions from me in the not to distant future!

Ja mata.
    Last edited by ae8zn6; 20th December 2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: typo

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i always saw this on carsales and thought it was a good buy if you could talk the seller down on price. seriously though, a few cans of that plasti-dip stuff to paint the red parts black and it will be fine. seems like alot of money was spent on re trimming the interior even if it is in bad taste. please post a video of you smashing those tail lights?
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^^^^ Lol this was someones pride and joy at some stage, but you are right, it is very very ugly and so wrong.

Looking forward to seeing it "Fixed" , I'm sure under all that crap is a good rolling shell.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Vinh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I was okay with the interior actually. Leather and some kind of black are quite appealing It's a shame you had to strip it though. The tail lights and body were a bit too out there for almost anyone.

And by the looks of it, your turbo could swallow up Mt Rushmore @ 10 psi. Looking forward to reading more on your build mate.

Name
    Jon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

+1 for video of smashing taillights.

Ugly as hell but a good base to turn into your black swan

Name
    Lance
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

this was a mates old car ,he did a ground up build i wasnt a fan of the colour but everyones different,
    keep us upto date Robbo with your rebuild

Name
    Milan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

No no no. Don't smash the tail lights! You can buy a red film to put over it. You will regret smashing them i you ever bust one on the track lol.

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, driving out near freeman's reach way, and saw this on someone front lawn, couldn't believe it

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

mmmm 1g.........

......said no one
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast