Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: CA86 notch drift build (SYDWAYS V2)

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Default CA86 notch drift build, soon to be SR20 (SYDWAYS V2)

Ok finally got around to making a build thread for this, been meaning to do it earlier but wasnt sure if this project was gonna go far, so here goes!

For starters im Richard, reside in Perth WA, im 25 and here is my hachi!

After having a rust bucket hatchback a few years back and selling it to build my FC, i couldnt shake off the pleasure of driving one of these even tho my rotor was a sick car, i had to have an AE86 again and build one properly! Was looking around for a decent coupe for about 8months and stumbled on this one going for cheap! I knew the car from when Prime86 had it a while before that and remember how stupidly quick it was! Back then it had an N/A CA18 with a 2861 strapped to it, apparently made close to 300 atw at the time, surely felt quick to me! was stripped out and basic/rough with half an exhaust, basicaly track spec!

Anyway when i checked it out, the add listed things that turned out werent true like the ECU not being as advertised etc... Anyhow Brad (Prime86) was kind enough to answer all the questions i had for him about it and i set off to building what is my idea of a track/drift ae86! so enough chit chat, time for pics!

What it looked like at first (looks nothing like this now lol)

What I sold to build my 86

Still love my rotors and would love to throw one in the hachi... Maybe if I win the lotto...

2 days into owning the car, on a friday arvo after a couple of cold ones after work, took it for a "spirited" drive and blew up the CA... just my luck!
    Quick look on gumtree and found a CA18DET for $400! going to a lower compression turbo motor was preferred for reliability so this happened

Got it running again but was never right, so took it to get a tune only to find out the ECU was standard (as opposed to a nistune like the seller told me) and couldnt run the GTR injectors and rb20 afm (also advertised as a z32afm by seller)
    Nevertheless got it to idle properly and sorta run and rev ok so i could still have some fun in it. worse case scenario it was another $400 for a motor lol!

Im gonna leave it here for today, got alot more to go through so watch this space once i find time to sort through pictures and actually sit down to write it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img0564i.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	27769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42425510150713022454772.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	27770  
    Last edited by gaspal; 29th June 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Looking good, though it sucks the previous seller lied...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

so the missus just got me a gopro for chrissy! which means footage of my poor attempts at drifting to come lol!

getting back to the car, next up was getting it to look decent! having spraypainter buddies helps!

Stripping her down

so many layers of paint and bog over the years, green, red, some blue and finally the original white

sorry for the picture overload but threads without them are boring...

anyhow took her out for my first drift prac, went really good but the front suspension was playing up, knocks, bangs, steering locking up then counter steering way too fast... sorta got the hang of it towards the end but something really wasnt right...

there she is with the tow bitch!

also look up this guy, mad drifting pics and footage from all over oz but mainly WA

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

I like how this is heading.

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey Richard

Great to see you got a build thread up and I could help with information about the car. I'm glad to see the car is back in the hands of someone who will get it back up to its former glory and look after it. It was a bit of a weapon back in the day...Lol. Cars looking really good, I'm looking forward to following this thread and seeing the car in person again sometime.

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey Brad! yeah car is completely different from when u used to own it lol, got a fair bit more pics to get up to date to where shes at now... it was definately quick when i came to check it out a while back at ur house, not quite so much anymore but i need it to be reliable so went with a more sensible motor choice! if she blows again, a rotor is going in!

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Awesome...Interested to see where she's at now.

The car was built with one thing in mind. Wasn't shy when it came to hanging in on the limiter and had a huge power band also, why that combo come to light. Pulled like a 12 year old down low...Lol. As for the new motor, build it and they will come...Lol! Rotor would be great, would be an interesting conversion but well worth the effort for the power you can make.

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Havent updated this for a while! been a busy few months with holidays overseas and proposing to the missus!
    so I ended up getting myself a power FC for it, got tuned and managed 210hp @11 psi. couldve pushed more but the injectors and pump are close to being maxed out so gonna have to upgrade that. big difference in the way the car drives and delivers the power, its like its a completely different setup, really stoked with it. I took the car out for the second time, got some footage: be kind, still at the very early stages of learning lol. quality aint that great either, gonna work on improving that

got some more coming soon, gotta sort out some pics and shit.

Name
    Richard
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

bought some wheels a while ago too, rota grid classics in 15x9 -10. stretched some 195/50's achilles on them but they required a bit of work on the front guards to make them fit properly. doesnt look pretty now as its not finished but it clears the wheels so its fine for now. and my new paint is all cracked now

from this

to this

then gave it a wash

also got some kelway adjustable lca's, T3 steering arms, tie rod ends and castor arms to fix all the slop in the front suspension. almost the same amount of work replacing all the bushes so thought might as well get adjustable shit now rather later down the track. will be fitting all this soon

anyone got tips on flaring the rear guards in the same way i did the front? theres alot more metal compared to the single layer panels on the fronts and seems like im banging them hard enough but they wont move much lol. wanna get them done so i can lower the car a bit more and get the guards cleaned up and resprayed

Name
    Blair
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

bang harder!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast