Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4age in ADM 86 won't start. Wiring?

Name
    Jesse
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default 4age in ADM 86 won't start. Wiring?

Hey guys, I'm installing an AE82 bigport 4age into my ADM AE86. But I'm having some problems with the wiring.
    A mate who knows more about wiring is helping, so far we have spark, fuel but possibly no injection. When we try to turn the engine over it sounds like it wants to start and will occasionally seems to provide a cold start squirt, but never fully fires.
    We've tested injector resistance and the critical systems are wired.
    We have reset the dizzy a few times using the notch in the crank pulley, camshaft and dizzy gear, so I don't think timing is an issue, I would think it would still start.
    We are getting correct readings at the ecu, however not all sensors are connected yet, eg. oil, dash water temp, tacho, alternator, speedo, o2.

Are there any other ways of testing the injectors and circuits?
    Is there a correct way to test if the MAP sensor is working?
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by genkin; 23rd December 2012 at 03:50 PM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

What colour are your injectors? one model big port needs a resistor pack to fire correctly...

The stuff you haven't setup won't stop it starting... Go into jay car and buy a cheap lead bulb and hook up your check engine light... ignition power one side and what you'd normally use as an earth to the ecu W pin. See if you are getting any codes.

Most common wiring breakage on these is at the dizzy plug on the engine harness side of the loom, double check that. How strong is your spark and make sure your ignitor is bolted / earthed to the chassis?
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Huw
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Find the large YELLOW wire coming out of the ecu.......this is the power wire for the injectors......give this wire +12v when the ignition is on, and the thing should fire up.

Ive had this problem several times when wiring up ae82 engines........

Name
    Vinh
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

And just make sure your distributor is rotated the correct way. I've soaked my plugs because it was the wrong way once

Name
    Sam
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Intro... Thanks for the replies guys.. really appreciated. I'm the friend of Genkin's helping him out with the conversion.

They are RED connectors on the injectors. As far as i can test they are already getting +12V through the yellow wire from the ECU tested at the injector connector and the ECU itself.

We have reseated the distributor several times and checked the firing order and spark from each HT lead.

I don't seem to be able to feel the injectors actuating however, nor making any sound. The only fuel i believe is coming from the Cold Start Injector and it does skip fire maybe once or twice.

Any further suggestions much appreciated guys.

Cheers

Name
    Sam
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Matt: What resistor pack is this and what does it look like as it rings a bell from a previous conversion... Cheers mate.

Name
    Sam
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

well yaah that may be the issue there Matt. I haven't seen that on the loom or in the box of parts we have. Cheers dude. I'll keep you posted.

Name
    Marco
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

There is a black wire with a white stripe from the starter motor to the ecu. Is that connected? Should go to sta pin on the ecu.
    Usually injectors are earth triggered from ecu, positive power feed from ign2 circuit I think black wire with orange stripe. Early big port is blue and yellow wires batch fired

Name
    Sam
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Hey Slimer, the STA circuit is wired correctly and the starter is functional. The solenoid actuates and the motor turns over. It is also present at the ECU. Cheers for the reply mate, I'll check out the blue and yellow wires you speak of. Thanks.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

pretty sure from memory it is a relatively smallish rectangular box with a plug on it similar to the dizzy... The pink injectors definately need it , along with any low impedence ones.

The gray injectors don't need it.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast