Name
    Law
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default 4AGE Blacktop 20v High mileage recommendations

Hi guys

I know its a common question but digging around the net and this forum doesn't yield any conclusive results for me.

Question I have is , my 4AGE 20v BT is sitting on 175,000km's and has been running 10W-40 for ages now. Last few oil changes I've noticed that its burning slightly more oil then usual. Ie after a oil + filter change, about 800km's afterwards I've noticed the dipstick sitting at 75%.

compression test results show that all 4 cylinders are sitting at 193psi dry and 205-210psi wet. So its more than likely that the rings are worn to some degree even though compression is pretty healthy.

I've never noticed any smokyness from the exhaust, during each car wash i do notice a little soot on the bottom on the muffler tip but thats it.

I've read that some guys have been running 20w-50 or 10w-50 in an attempt to stem or stop the burning of oil but no one has confirmed whether it works or not .

since its a daily for me and doesnt see any trackwork I'm deciding whether a rebuild is worthwhile or is there anything I can do to minimize the burning oil, ie stepping up a oil weight?

otherwise if anyone here can help with changing the rings whilst the engine is in the car, I guess its an option.

Not looking to spend heaps on it as its a nice daily.
    Last edited by Tonkatsu; 10th January 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Veteran
    Name
    Jake
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I would try a slightly thicker oil as you said first, as long as you're not feeling any power loss from the age and it's not a track car I wouldn't bother just use the slightly thicker oil and check it like you probably are doing, toyota suggests on new cars to check the oil at least every time the car is fueled which is probably a bit much I think I don't even check my landcruiser but I know it won't burn through 10 liters of oil in the 2500kms I change the oil in it, haha.
    "Not all commodore drivers are wankers, but all wankers drive commodores"

Name
    Law
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cheers! you reckon 20w-50 will be too thick? I notice that one the car warms up I get the diesel tappet sounds (apparantly VVT pulley wear, but I've got a new one waiting to go on). I'll continue checking it every few weeks like I normally do.

tried digging up info on changing rings, doesnt seem like a fun job especially with the block still in the car.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I'd get the block honed if you are thinking about changing the rings... New bearings whilst at it. You can do in the car but I personally wouldn't.

I also had a chat to an engine reconditioners and he believes whilst the 20v valve stems flog out, it isn't that common to be a source of massive oil consumption due to the design. To be honest I'm not so sure

My blacktop is on 200+ kms and uses a bit more oil than you.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

As for thicker oil, I don't notice much of a diff when I tried it , but I run 10w30 in mine now and buy it in 20l drums

20w50 is in the manual as recommended oil pending the temperature
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Law
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Its a bit of a tough one, I care about the car enough that I'll be doing a major 200k service properly with all the correct gear but rebuild is stretching it a bit.

I might just switch to 20w-50 and see how that goes.

But agree on the rebuild part, if going to take it apart might as well do it properly.

I don't think the valve stem seals are leaky from what I can tell.