Name
    Hayden
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default Rim refurb/polish/clean/restoring - SSR Mk3

Hey guys,

Just bought a set of ssr mk3 and they aren't in the best shape.

Im going to be replacing the nuts as they are rusted and looking for some stainless steel ones and repainting the centres.

I've given the rims a clean but still look filthy.. I want to have the lips clean/polished/chrome, if i polish them enough will they go chromey or do i need to get them chromed? not sure how it works.

Whats the best way to restore them? I've got a wire brush and some find sand paper but i don;t want to wreck the rims.

Sorry for the newby questions (and the instagram spec pic) but just want some help!

Thanks

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the easiest way is to pay someone to do it. its not that expensive. or an easy way to do it yourself is take the bolts out and also the valve stem, then put them on you car (jacked up obviously) put it in gear and let it spin. takes the hard work out of polishing them yourself
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Hayden
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Thanks for the reply!

Looking at the rim itself, it seems to be a flat silvery colour? How do i get it to be a mirror finish? Is it simply polishing it or do i need to strip the paint back first? Are my rims able to be polished to a mirror finish or will they just stay flat?

Thanks

Last edited by haydoss; 21st January 2013 at 09:08 PM.

Name
    Matt
    State
    Qld
    Country
    Australia

From my experience you'll be able to polish them to a shiny finish if that's what you want. Follow Johl's instructions and get to work polishing the wheels while they spin. First thing you'll want to do is use very fine wet and dry paper (start at 1200 grit and go all the way to 2000 grit, unless there are some rougher bits that warrant a rougher grit). From there you'll want a professional metal polish and a lambswool pad or buffing wheel. Or you could pay someone to do it all for you. It will be good to see how you go with it so take some photos if you can.

Name
    Hayden
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Will do! will be respraying the centers to a bright orange colour. I'm hoping to get some quotes from a local shop to polish them and i'll see what they say and what they can do with them, or i'll end up doing it myself pending the quote.

Name
    Daniel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Good suggestions so far

I've had good results with similar condition wheels.

1. Give them a good clean
    2. Depending on scratches start with around 600 Grit Wet / Dry and move up 800 > 1000 > 1200 and all the way to 2000 if you'd like the highest mirror finish.
    3. Use a quality metal polish (Purple Polish on ebay works wonders!) and either with something similar to a Mothers Powerball or microfibre cloth polish it up.
    4. Apply polish to the clotch / power ball and rub until a dark residue forms - Then clean and repeat on other surfaces!

That's just a rough guide - but with time and effort it will work wonders

Dan

Name
    Hayden
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Cheers for the replies, the picture above is the best condition one that i have, the others are fairly bad haha. I'll try with the purple polish and a microfibre cloth first, if that doesn't work, probably buy a powerball.

Name
    Hayden
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Well for those wanting to see some progress on these, read on!

Got a bit bored today so decided to finally give it a crack. I used 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper for this with some warm soapy water. I was hesitant at the start as i didn't want to stuff the rim up but thought id give it a go!

Anyway, now for some pics

Jacked up 1 side of the car, put the nuts on and chucked it in gear, ended up using 2nd gear spinning at around 10km/hr. Kept the rim wet with the sponge while it was spinning and kept the sandpaper on.

Probably about 10-25 minutes of sanding

And thats what i got after probably an hour, was very pleased!

Obviously it hasn't been finished but i got a pretty sore hands from cramps haha.

I'd recommend this to anyone wanting to save money and not get them polished! Feels a lot more satisfying looking at them, even the laziest of kents can do it, and im pretty bloody lazy.

Give it a crack guys, I'll post up some more pics when more progress has been made.

Name
    Jake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

use some metal polish or even toothpaste to bring it up even better, you will be suprised at the results you can get with the right product and minimal effort

Name
    Hayden
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

For those who are interested, finally pulled my finger out and finished off the last wheel.
    They dont look as good in real life as the pics but i wasnt after a perfect finish, just a bit of a clean up. I then put purple polish on them. After that i then got paint stripper on the centres and applied primer. Once that had dried i then painted them with silver export spray paint, suprised with the result. Now i just need to put the valves back in and get new nuts for the outside!

Hope this helped someone out haha

Last edited by haydoss; 3rd March 2013 at 01:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast