Thread: ke70 wont go

Default ke70 wont go

hey guys, well as topic says the rolla wont start. ok well it woundnt start so first thing i checked was the starter motor i pulled it out and applied 12v to it and worked fine so i put it back on and the car started!! i drove it for about 20 min and i died on me while i was driving along. and now it wont start at all. when i turn the key to start it, it wont turn over at all i only hear a couple relay's switch and the 'brake' (not the hand brake) light will come on while I'm trying to start it. and i know its not the battery.

WTF is going on here guys
    any help would be awesome!!

cheers alex

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

It is probably the barrel switch (key switch) being too old and not being able to supply the starter solenoid with enough power, does it have a starting relay? you should probably install one, on every car I've had I have always installed one even if it doesn't need it. Its simple to install and would highly recommend it. Another thing to check would be your engine grounds and the grounds in general, make sure they are not loose or corroded this is a common issue for people having starting and electrical problems. Such grounds to check would be battery to chassis, battery to engine, chassis to engine and etc. What I have mentioned above would be mainly for the issue of the starter motor not engaging and turning over the motor, but when you said it died while you were driving could have been a grounding issue, is your alternator working properly? As even if you have a good battery there is no point if your Alternator is no good, check the fuses and cables or even simpler just get a multimeter and check to see that you are getting at least 13.x + volts across the battery terminals.

So in short:

*Install starting relay, If not already installed (Highly Recommended), if already installed check to see if the contacts are clean and that the wiring isnt damaged.
    *Check Engine Grounds.
    *Check Alternator
    *Check and Clean Battery terminals if corroded.
    *Check starter feed cables and other cables in general.

Dave

thanks dave great wording

yer i have checked my ground wiring and all seems fine, across my battery i am gettin around 12.8v. iv checked all my fuses, terminals and all are fine. i tried another battery and nothing changed. the only thing is stater relay im not sure if i have one how do i find out if i do?? when i go from the on position to the start with the key i here 2 relays click if that is of any help

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

When you put the key in the "ON" position that is just some other relays that take care of ignition and other devices in the car. Im not 100% sure if ke70's have a standard relay for the starter as some power the starter solenoid directly from the barrel switch. If there is a relay which has been added by someone and not from factory it should be near the starter at least that's where I would put it as that would also be the simplest and easier place to put it. When you remove the starter you would have removed a smaller wire with a female spade connector on it follow and see where it goes if it goes to a relay ( small box thing usually with 4 connections on it, and is usually black but can be another colour) that means there is a starting relay which was added. If there is one of these it could be bad take it off and open her up look at the contacts. Or what you could do is get a medium sized piece of wire crimp a female spade connector on the end of the wire and plug that into the male spade connector on the starter itself and connect it to positive just hold it against the positive battery terminal or the feed wire on the starter, this should make the starter crank if it does not means it is either the solenoid on the starter which is bad or the starter itself. If it does turn over it means you have a wiring issue somewhere or dirty contacts which need to be cleaned and recommended to install a relay. Keep in mind that only hold the wire on the positive battery terminal for a few seconds to see if it cranks, wouldn't recommend you hold it there any longer.

Dave
    Last edited by SXC-086; 4th January 2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Missing Information

ok thanks dave il have to give that a try

Name
    Dan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

which relay would we use. the 4k ke70 has a a spot for a starter relay in the engine fuse box, it has a plug with a black wire that is looped to make a connection.

would this relay work? connection 3 and 4 is where the black wire is looped on the plug that is used instead of a relay. the relay below is a normal 1980's 12v toyota relay made in japan which plugs into that spot no problem.

3_/ _4
    .... _
    1_|_|_2

the ke guys know what i'm talking about, just wanna know if it will work. if the wrong connections are used i cud fry some wires
    Last edited by Dan_J; 23rd March 2009 at 05:57 PM.

Name
    Dave
    State
    New South Wales
    Country
    Australia

I'm not sure for a 4K/KE but in your case it may possibly work, however it would be easier to mount a universal relay near the starter instead.

For those that do not know Pins 86 and 85 on a relay (in most cases) is for the coil, where one side would go to ground and the other would go to the switched source in this case the old start wire. Pins 30 and 87 is the current being switched, such as Pin 30 can be wired to the positive cable from the battery on the starter(can be fused if wanted), and Pin 87 is wired to the start connector on the starter itself. Wiring the relay near the starter instead of the fuse box is possibly easier as shorter runs of wire is required and pretty much any N.O. relay can be used.

Cheers, Dave