VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default Bit of help starting up

Car - (kind of irrelevant) but Z32

motor / part in question - S15 SR20DET

problem - Bastard won't kick

occurs/started when (if applicable)- see below

personal situation (if applicable)- Married with 2 dogs!?!

OK,

I bought a car with SR in it. Motor ran great...

Got it home, motor ran great...

putted it around the driveway a bit, motor ran great...

pulled off AFM and moved the ecu around a little, motor ran like ass (no doubt just limp mode)...

Then motor ran the tank out of petrol... Put more fuel in the tank

Motor won't start.

I have reconnected the AFM, moved the ECU back to where it was. It has rail pressure, fuel is flowing into the return line. I have spark at the coil and the plug, I haven't changed the timing.
    (fuel, spark, timing)

I tried spraying accelerant up the inlet and still no go. Cranks fine but absolutely zero kick (at all)...

Has me stumped, Only thing I can think is clogged injectors, but then the 'start ya bastard' should have worked (at least a little)...

Not even a splutter....

...bit of help?

thanks guys
    Last edited by ae8zn6; 24th January 2013 at 09:58 PM.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

What kind of pump is in? Ran outta fuel,fucked the pump now got low fuel pressure? Uprated pumps like walbros are a bastard if ya run them dry!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Narh, would be running Z32 fuel pump. They are good for around 700hp, so there would have been no need to change it. Also would the fuel pressure reg be sending fuel to the return line if there wasn't enough rail pressure?

Thanks for the idea though!

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Unplug the AFM? Motor should start and idle rock solid but it won't wanna rev.

Is the loom modified to suit Z32 or just a standard loom? The reason I ask is the b/w power wire for the afm and cas could be shorting out when you moved the AFM plug if it was a pretty dodgey install.

Are the injectors pulsing?

Does fuel gush out the return or just pour out without any gusto?

Name
    Paul
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Well if you have good spark and fuel at the rail it has to be an injector power/trigger issue or fuel pressure? theres a big difference between 20psi and 40 psi of fuel pressure although both will do the same thing when ya open a hose...

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I find it odd that the car won't start with when you spray something at the throttle. If it is a fuel issue the car would have started on the spray and ran perfect for half a second until it ran lean and picked up rpm just before dying like a nitro rc car when you pinch the fuel line to stop the motor.

My feeling is it that it's not the fuel system not allowing th engine to run. It may still be faulty but it not THE fault.

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

A SR will still run (idle etc) at 20psi fuel pressure....

I was with Robbo the other day quickly trying to get this thing going.
    The return fuel line had pressure, and the inlet (appeared) to have pressure too..
    Had spark
    Coils had 12v
    Car earths looked fine

It really was strange.... It didn't even try to fire, not once... Just kept turning over..... It was almost like an immoboliser. I looked under the dash and found some security/old alarm box. couldn't see much under there. Robbo called the previous owner who said it was all disconnected....

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Ask your Dad what happened when it ran out of fuel.
    Did it cough and splutter and then stop?
    Or
    Did the engine just suddenly stop? Did it happen to rev a little first and then die, or just die quietly?

Prob unlikely, but you know the story of how my CAS just died, which produced same symptoms.... Maybe not, but just sayin

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Ok, few questions to answer... I am only on my phone, so I might do it in a couple of posts to make it easier.

Ken:
    The engine loom is standard but has been spliced into the Z32 body loom.

The AFM wiring seems fine and it is physically no where near the CAS (standard z32 intake position in front of the radiator)

As far as I can tell the injectors are powered and receiving a pulse (they are negatively switched correct?)

The return line was pretty much pressurised when I disconnected.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Pt_y2k:
    I completely agree. My thoughts were, I need fuel, air, spark and timing. There are no restrictions in the inlet, I haven't changed the timing, there is good strong spark at the plug and the rail has fuel, must have clogged the injectors, but then there was still no life with the start ya bastard right into the throttle body.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast