Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BEAMS powered 86 yo!!!

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    australia

Ok guys, So it's been a long few weeks getting it ready for Friday night drift practice which unfortunately didn't happen for a few reasons which I will explain later.

So about 3 Weeks ago I decided it was time to get the ae86 going again Which I knew was going to be a reasonably big task with so little time and all the things I wanted done.

First off was to finish the fuel system so I went to see Paul at fiveten automotive to sort me out with all my fittings and braided lines go from the fuel cell to the engine bay and back, and with in the next 2 Night's it was all fitted up and ticked off the list.
    Next was to get some wheels and some other bits and pieces so I rang a mate to see if I could buy my old wheels back and lucky for me he was selling his car that night and the wheels went going with it so I picked them up that night which I was happy with as the wheels suit the car so well.

Next was fixing the steering, I ordered some steering rack bushes from David @ AJPS.

Whilst looking for some new diff I called Anthony @ Kiazen Garage and he found me some 4.6 Ratio gears which I snapped up along with some extra lock rack ends, After having chat He informed me off his itb adapters to suit the beams I bought one the next week along with some blacktop throttle bodies of a forum member on here and fitted them up were I ran in to some trouble with the Engine being mounted so far back the last throttle body was hitting the clutch master, I pulled the clutch master out and recessed the mount 20mm in to the cabin. Now with throttle bodies on I called Sam Q and ordered some 110mm velocity stacks Which I must say look pretty Damn nice.

With a few late night's And early mornings before work installing the diff And finish making the lean windows and finishing other things it was back on the ground for the first time in around 8 Months I decided I wanted new door cards made so I made up a template and not having a bead roller I took them to a fabrication and had them made.

With a few more late night's and a gazillion phone calls to Anthony ( I must of driven him mad ) With all my questions. We booked the dyno for Friday the 17th. BUT 2 Days before hand when testing the fuel system my injection seals didn't want to play any more And started leaking, A few phone calls down with no luck I called Paul from fiveten And he had me some the same day.

The day had come to finally tune the car, eventually we got to Brisbane after a quick wheel alignment at springwood which unfortunately showed that the rails and diff are bent which will Need be fixed asap. Some last minute things like fitting all the vacume lines and vacume canister that Anthony fabed up for me we got it to the dyno which is were the troubles began. The ecu decided to play games causing troubles and my personal stuff up not knowing that the throttle bodies needed Doyle's to hold them in place weren't there we called it a day and made a slight plan of attack.

I decided to upgrade to a new adaptronic And get a whole new loom to save some more weight from UN needed wiring which hopefully I can get that sorted in the next few weeks and tune it up in time for the next practice for a showdown.

Now for some pictures, I will add some more tomorrow night of the engine bay.

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    australia

Story guys, It's not letting me load pics on my Samsung tab. Can i email them to some one to post them for me please?

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

sounds like you have been busy

I reckon the 4.6 will be too short, guess it depends what you like
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    australia

I have run 4.11's and then 4.3's and they just wern't Enough For me. My car just wouldn't spin 3rd how I would like.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

ah yeah, im more interested in top speed haha
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    australia

Most the drift tracks here in qld arnt really fast tracks So top speed isn't really an issue.

Name
    Jacob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

How do you mean wouldn't do third?

I used to skid 3rd at QR in my stock 20v with 3:9 LOL

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

car speed and wheel speed maybe?

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    australia

Nothing to do with car speed, i drive it fast. and as I said it does get third, It just seems too linger just under the power band of the engine. but after Anthony has looked at the tune he said something about the ecu isn't letting the vvti work how it should or something along those lines so this most probably is the cause and not the diff gearing but in talks with Anthony he used to drive in 3rd and 4th gear With the ratio's I am running now which is what I want. Shifting between 3rd and 4th is going to a lot faster and easier then going between 2nd and 3rd so no offence to you guys but I think I will take my advice from some who knows my engine setup as he has well and truly proven himself drivers seat of the car.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I have the same engine set up as well but not sure if you were referring to me?

But you can drift a 4ac in 3rd gear but the tyres arent exactly bagging up but it will (just) hold a slide if you have enough car speed (entry)

Where as the turbo/more powerful cars just put it in 3rd and smoke them hard from almost any speed - which sounds like what you want to do. Peak power in 3rd

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast