Thread: Fighting NRMA for car value

Name
    James
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Default Fighting NRMA for car value

Hopefully someone here will be able to give me some helpful advice on a battle I've been having with the NRMA for the last month or so.

I was driving home from work on xmas eve and got rear-ended by a P-plater at an intersection. I was stopped checking for traffic and the kid didn't stop. Basically my car got written off and now NRMA are jerking me around with the value of the vehicle.

My car is a '83 ADM sprinter with 4AGZE, extractors, full over diff exhaust, corona front struts and discs, JDM disc rear end with TRD 2-way, after market shocks (Monroe I think), after market sway bars front and rear (no idea on the brand but they're orange), external fuel pumps, thermo fans and the usual after market rims, steering wheel, sound system ect...

Initially they offered me a 3 grand settlement and now they've offered me 4 grand. Given that I payed 5 grand for the car initially (I even have a receipt for this) and have since put 2-3 grand into it I'd say it would be reasonable to expect 7-8 grand as that is what I could have sold the car for before the accident. One of the Canberra AE86 guys JoJo came around and had a look and thought that'd be a reasonable request.

Has anyone been in a situation like this before and have any tips to help me try and get the actual value of the car? Should I just take the 4 grand and part out or actually take them to small claims or something to actually get what its worth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	524910_4588400541940_1031895049_n.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	28065

Name:	375265_4588401341960_176635321_n.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	28066

Name:	532412_4588402381986_865928360_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	28067
    http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x99/jumpninja/trollsigcopy.jpg

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Hard to say what to do. What was your insurance situation? Did you have full comp? This is why most people go with shannons or just car to get an agreed value. My 86 used to be with racv but they would only pay out 2k (market value) so I went with shannons for 12k agreed. maybe just take the money and re shell your car into that. Either way sorry to hear the bad news

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My mate got rear ended by a taxi, he sent them links to several adds for 86's for sale, and they agree to pay out average

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

My M35 stagea is insured with NRMA, you can choose the agreed value when you do your insurance quote, all it does is increase your premium .

I payed 15.5k for mine and had it insured for 22K no questions asked, all done online.

Did you have full comp?

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

The p plater should be covering for the value of the car or his insurance

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

To be perfectly honest I am shocked that nrma is offering 4k. They typically go off red book value which works off a very simple depreciation algorithm. (Just double checked that value reads 2.1k to 4.7k) but yeah, you won't get much (if any) more from them. As far as getting money back ensure you keep the wreck, then you should be able to part out the remains to get you closer to even.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Whenever you sell a car and on the rego papers put down a lower value than what you sell it for is to blame for this....

Worst case take the 4k for the car, have them agree that you'll fix it at your own cost (avoid the written off register) and fix it... or part it out and still get your 7k in total.

How bad is the damage? You'd be surprised at what can be fixed
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

James,
    As I said, if this was me....

You send an invoice to NRMA for the assessed damage to your car..... Their client hit you and admitted fault... They must pay.....
    The value of the car in this situation, is what YOU specify (within reason).. And NOT what they have have as a market value or what they would insure it for..... Just cause they would only insure it for 3-4thou, doesn't mean thats the car value....

If they only offered 4thou, I would straight up decline their offer.......

The car and the list of mods, can easily be shown to be worth 7-8thou...... Do your homework, find as many for sale adds from differant sources of other AE86s with simular mods, and provide them...

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

It's a write off Matt..... I have seen the car........ Diff body mounts have moved etc........ It looks better in the pics than it actually is

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

So was your car insured at all in this case?
    If so for how much?
    I gather that it's going thru his insurance company?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast