Thread: 90's Style - Custard Yellow Hatch

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Rightio, update time!

So last weekend saw the final hillclimb at our local course for the year, with efforts being put toward having our new layout up and running for next season (course will be doubled in length, with some higher speed sections compared to current layout)

Managed to get my time down to 36.37, which is still a way off the pace but the heat in the track meant that the Federal 595's I run were a little too greasy. Some better tyres for next season would be nice! Also finally got pinged for having a modified inlet manifold and pushed up into Type 3, so the unmolested manifold I have at home will need to be fitted up for next season. Most irritating thing was arguing with the scrutineer that the ae86 was available with a 4age. "I thought these were all carby?" Bloody goose he was! I don't expect every person to know every car, but if you're going to call me a liar at least do a little research!

Anyway, for a change one of the guys had a camera out, so I figured I'd do something worth shooting:

Pretty happy with that! New PB and some nice slide photos make for a pretty good day at the track! Hopefully next year will mean a few more HP with the fresh head and some more appropriate rubber.

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Been a while since the last update! Been basically buying up gear and trying to get the thing out and drive it as much as I can. I bought a pair of JDM front seats and door trims from Craig at Just JDM (cheers mate!) and fitted those up over the last couple of weeks:

You can also see my Luisi steering wheel in these shots. Very happy with how it looks now, although it seems that JDM seats are a bit "wobbly" compared to the ADM ones? Thinking maybe its because you are actually pushing against the bolsters rather than sliding across the seats? I will see how it goes on the track, if it is too bad I will buy a fixed back to put in for track days and leave the JDM seats for the street. Also wired up some new speakers in the stock positions so I don't have to cut the trims. Next interior jobs are to respray some of the trims (previous owner sprayed the blue stuff black and it is now flaking off - will scrub them back and paint them with the correct plastic paint) and repair the parcel tray - it had 6x9's in it which I have now removed. The weight of them broke the shelf and of course there are 2 gaping holes to fix!

I also have a few new bits for the suspension (AJPS 6kg front springs, Cusco RCA's and PS arms) which will hopefully go in over the next couple weeks. Yes guys, I am leaving regular King springs in the back - talking to a few people who were involved with the ae86 when it was new have even suggested going to stock spring in the rear, which is supposedly what the TTA cars had, albeit lowered slightly. I have also just fitted up a strut brace on the advice of a mate with a gravel ae86, but I haven't really tested it properly as of yet.

Other than that I also have a stock inlet manifold to fit up to replace the bodged one in there at the moment, just waiting for my spare head to come back from being reco'd so I can get that fitted up with a TRD head gasket.

Name
    Steve
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Nice updates mate - good to see someone using the car for trackdays with simple but effective mods. well done!

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Thanks mate - been really happy with it so far. I think at this stage the limiting factor is ability for me, so modifications are really based around making the whole package as usable as possible. I also don't really want to get to the point that it becomes a trailer only car, or I am scared to drive it on the street, so that is part of the reason this build is quite mild.

In other updates, RCA's and steering arms have been installed, didn't get the springs done due to a lack of short stroke struts (considering this is the second one of these I've done I really should've remembered I needed the struts...). Can't really comment on the handling improvement until after a wheel alignment this weekend, but am hoping that the quicker steering and lack of bump steer will make the thing a bit more surefooted around the tight Ringwood circuit

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Been a while since an update, so let's do it!

Been to 2 hillclimb events since the last update, first being Kempsey Hillclimb (Mt Cooperabung). Received my first motorsport trophy (3rd in class, 2013 Tri Series) which was a bit exciting. Sadly I doubt I will be repeating that for 2014, with some tougher competition in the form of a pair of Integra Type R's joining the fray.

The hillclimb itself did not go great - first time at the track, which is a rather imposing piece of disused highway, coupled with a rapidly deteriorating clutch meant I was well down the order. A well run event and a fun track, so I will return!

I quickly got hold of a Driftculture lightweight flywheel thru Sc86 (cheers mate!) and dropped the car in to get a HD Exedy clutch installed. WOW. What an upgrade, between the flywheel and a working clutch the car feels like it has an extra 30hp! So happy with it, although it has made the axle tramp more apparent. Always something...

On Friday night a got a message from one of the guys involved in the Gemini Nationals saying they were a bit low on numbers for their annual Ringwood hillclimb. Having a fresh clutch and flywheel I decided to go throw in a few laps. Good bunch of guys and a fun, low key day! Hilariously the little ae86 ran fastest time of the day (hand timed at 36.1 seconds, so not sure of accuracy there) despite being seriously outgunned for horsepower. With the new flywheel/clutch I am finding I am getting much more oversteer on corner exit, so it maybe time to back the rear swaybar off a notch. It was certainly a handful, and I think there is a solid 0.5 of a second in tying the backend down a bit more. Anyway, enough chatter, here is a video of my fastest run of the day, followed by one of my slippery runs.

Not sure if you can see it in the video, but the second run into the loop I have a bit of a lift off oversteer moment coming in - haven't done that before!

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Well, has been a little while since my last update hasn't it? Been a little bit going on, got the car tuned after rebuilding the head. Made a monstrous 66.6kw at the wheels.

Don't pretend you're not impressed! The 55.5kw line shows where we messed up and had the cam timing off a tooth (oops)

Main changes though have been to the suspension set up, with the following installed:

185/60r14 a050 tyres all round (Monaco Performance, Kotara NSW)
    6kg front springs (AJPS)
    mr2 inserts with adapter kit (AJPS)
    New tie rod ends/rack ends
    Camber tops (eBay)
    xt130 LCA (eBay)

Rear has been left as just King Springs to promote squat.

Car now looks like this:

First hit out was at Ringwood Park Hillclimb. Layout A2A was in use, with 2 laps of the top loop before heading down to the finish. Managed a 64.55 which put me 4th in class, 0.7 seconds (and 80kw) down on the 3rd place Vtec CRX, and a couple of seconds further adrift from the winning Integra Type R. Video below

Bloody horn button fell out, hence the weird wheel work here and there.

Plan for now is to leave as is mechanically and just do general tidy up things, and enjoy driving as much as possible.

Name
    Nick
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Wow, that drivers seat does look like it has the wobbles in the vid. Might be an idea to have a sus of the base where the rails bolt to it, seen them crack there before.
    Awesome car though, gotta get out to a hill climb sometime!
    Formerly 86 Nick

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Yeah maybe cracked but they are all like that...i got defected for wobbly seats.
    MOPAR or no car!

Name
    Nat
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah it seems all the JDM seats have a bit a wobble to them. Its been like that since I installed it, and I had a good look over it at the time before I put it in.

Have a harness bar to go in, considering whether to get an sr2 Recaro or a fixed back seat.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

a050 are an amazing tyre. Good stuff.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast