Name
    Nam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default AE86 20v struggle to start

Car -Toyota AE86

Motor / part in question - 7AGE 20v (silvertop head with 7A block) with an aftermarket WOLF 3D ECU

problem - My car is struggling to start up. Ill turn the key and the car sounds very close to starting up. Its cranking away and the revs on the hand controller get to about 300-400rpms. My battery has been fully charged and is reading 12.5v. Spark Plugs have been changed and Fuel Filter has been changed. Oil levels are fine.

occurs/started when (if applicable)- Started about a month ago out of no where. One afternoon I went to the car and it just didnt want to start. Next day i changed sparks and at first it didnt want to start. After a few more goes it started up and i drove it a few times around the block. Got it home and turned it off then started it up again fine. After that i changed the heater core and then went to start it up and the problem was there again.

The cam timing seems to be all lined up. The car seems to be popping a little from the exhaust too when im trying to start it.

Any help or has anyone had a similar problem.

Thanks
    Nam

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Injectors are squirting? Fuel getting to the rail ok? Does it start if you use some "start ya bastard" down the quads?

Name
    David
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

does it start ok with throttle party open?

Name
    Nam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Nope doesnt start at all. Tried starting with throttle open and no good. Have thought of checking the Fuel Pressure Regulator...not too sure how what the PSI reading should be. Read it was suppose to be 2.7 bar but then I dont really know.

Name
    Tristan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

[QUOTE=LEVIN86;912894]Car -Toyota AE86

Motor / part in question - 7AGE 20v (silvertop head with 7A block) with an aftermarket WOLF 3D ECU

problem - My car is struggling to start up. Ill turn the key and the car sounds very close to starting up. Its cranking away and the revs on the hand controller get to about 300-400rpms. My battery has been fully charged and is reading 12.5v. Spark Plugs have been changed and Fuel Filter has been changed. Oil levels are fine.

occurs/started when (if applicable)- Started about a month ago out of no where. One afternoon I went to the car and it just didnt want to start. Next day i changed sparks and at first it didnt want to start. After a few more goes it started up and i drove it a few times around the block. Got it home and turned it off then started it up again fine. After that i changed the heater core and then went to start it up and the problem was there again.

The cam timing seems to be all lined up. The car seems to be popping a little from the exhaust too when im trying to start it.

Any help or has anyone had a similar problem.

Have you found the problem yet??
    i have a similar problem with my 20v, it doesn't start anymore at all ( sounds like timing is out) but i haven't found my problem yet either
    i can suggest though to go over all your earthing points and check your basic stuff, fuel pressure ( you want at least 40psi / 2.5l per minute) if you got trumpets get someone to look down the trumpets with open wide throttle and crank - disconnect coils though and see what the spray pattern is like.
    i am currently waiting for someone to lend me a ecu to try out

Twisty

Name
    Nam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Well I went thru all that I could with seeing if the fuel pump was working, seeing if fuel was coming out of the return lines, checking for spark, changing sparks, testing spare coil pack, charging battery, jump starting, changing fuel filter...after all that I could not do anything else. So it was time to go off to my wizard of a mechanic. He was able to push start it and get it started but would not start up on its own from a stand still. After some of his own testing with another guy from Wolf (im running a wolf 3d) they found the problem.

I have a Microtech ignition module and it had always emitted a little electrical interference. For some strange reason it was releasing a lot of it and was messing with the whole ignition sequence causing it to spark at the wrong time. So a small circuit board was made up and fused into the loom to eliminate any electrical interference. Car now starts up perfectly and drives great again.

Dont know if this information is much help to anyone but thought it would be a good idea to put this case to an END!

Mechanic: Bryan from Racetec in Dandenong

Name
    Gorgi
    State
    Canberra
    Country
    Australia

Hmm, i have a 4agte with a microtech lt10s and x4 ignition system, and my car also has a little bit of trouble to start, i need to push the throttle to about halfway while starting to get it to kick over, but once there its fine and idles nicely. the x4 unit goes to the bosch ingitor packs i believe.

do you think its a similar sort of deal here?? all i need is a little circuit thingy?

hope i used all the correct terms and stuff here

Name
    Nam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I couldn't answer that sorry. Maybe see if you can get it tested by someone who is very familiar with Microtech gear in you area. They should be able to test and see if it may be the issue. My mechanic is one of the main dealers of WOLF and he knows his stuff so im pretty happy to have found him.

They used some equipment of their own and was able to find the problem straight away. Best of luck man

Name
    Gorgi
    State
    Canberra
    Country
    Australia

It kicks over fine when its warm, maybe idle air control valve might not have on or something

Name
    Tristan
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

thats something very handy to know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast