Thread: About to buy parts

Name
    Ty
    State
    Missouri
    Country
    USA

Default About to buy parts

I am about to embark on my build. I have been gathering as much information as I possably can and think I have gotten a pretty good feel for what I need for the main hard parts, however as with any engine transplant its the small details that kill you not the biggies. So I will break down what I am doing then ask my questions. I have a 1985 SR5 Hatchback so factory 4A-C 5spd wimpy rearend. I am installing a 1990 4G63t from an Eclipse GSX (because I got the whole car for $350 the tranny/transfer case is siezed) going to use a custom bellhousing (from bills auto fab) on either a W56/8 tranny or R154 depends on what I can find locally, it will obviously have a custom driveshaft with more than likely a 2wd toyota pickup rearend was told that they are 7.5 inch just like supras and 79-85 are same width as supras just need to weld on my brackets to make it work. My max power goal is 300 rwhp so less then 400 crank and that will be down the road not in the begining at first it will be stock at 195hp. I just dont want to replace parts more than once.

Questions
    What is the best fuel pump to use since mine dose not have an intank pump to begin with? should I locate a GTS sender unit and go from there or just run external fuel pump.

Can the stock fuel lines handle my new demand or should I just run new lines (was kinda leaning towards that but if someone knows that the SR-5 lines are plenty big would save some work)?

Can you keep the usdm bumper and modify it to accept an intercooler? Ive priced JDM ones and wow out of my current budget as the mechanical build will burn thru most my available funds.

What would you guys recomend changing/rebuilding since I will be going from 90hp to 195hp.

Anyone have experience with the W56/58 truck non turbo supra trannys can they handle some abuse. I have one located for 175 locally but the bell housing adapter is like 400 and will only fit one or the other so if I get a W tranny and it cant handle the power the cost to upgrade to R tranny will be huge but if it can handle my power wants then Ill be happy to save a few extra bucks.

Front brake what can I use to get bigger brakes on the front?

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I can help you with a bigger brake kit

good luck with the conversion
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

RE Pump - Depends what your doing with the car, but you could add an intank pump, eg same setup as JDM, and add a walbro 500hp intank pump. pretty good bang for buck, just watch out for copies on ebay.

RE Lines - 200hp is fine on standard lines. 90HP is the motor NA? the factory Turbo 4g63 output is around 200hp already. But if you have more power in mind, might be a good idea to upgrade the lines. Just use Braided line, easy to work with and relatively cheap for you guys.

RE bumper - just make it work, have a look do some measurements, select a core, make it fit.

RE rebuild, nothing dont touch it. those motors will cop a hiding! of course unless you do a leak down and comp test and the motor has a variance of 10% between cylinders or is below or close to min factory compression spec.

RE Tranny - W58 would suit your application, i had a W58 behind a 4ag turbo making over 300HP at the wheels.. so around 340hp at the fly. if you are aimaing at making big power.. like 400hp + id start looking at an R tranny

Brakes - Plenty of options out there, DAve can supply you with an RX7 kit, I can supply you with a Wilwood 4 or 6 piston kit in 3 different rotor size options.

Hope this helps you some.

goodluck.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I can't remember off the top of my head but isn't there a rear wheel box that bolts straight on?
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Edit.
    Last edited by sundee; 14th February 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Sam, you talking about starion trans? Or fc/fd trans with Mazda b2600 bellhousing?

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Im currently ordering a 4-9 (gen 2) 4g63 to R154 bellhousing from billsauto fab, great guy. the boxes that i could find that bolt to an early gen 4g are not that strong
    it may get a bit tricky getting dump pump around the rack too, seeing as zorst side is different to later 4g's
    22 pound of boost make sure it isnt pinging and running good mixtures you can trash it all day

check this sight out has heaps of info

Name
    Ty
    State
    Missouri
    Country
    USA

Thanks for the replys and answers the tranny was my biggest stresser as fuel lines are not the end of the world to replace but dont want to end up with 1200 into a tranny(600 for tranny and adapter the fist time just to dump another 600+ into the right tranny and new adapter).

As for the brakes do I need a "Kit" or can I use oem RX7 pieces and make them work I am not afraid of some frainkenstien creations I have done a couple in my life nothing better than cheap junkyard upgrades.

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

you need an adapter to run the rx7 caliper and the civic rotor
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

well in AUS my R155 was $550 with 35,000 km's on the clock, Bill is charging me 550 for the bellhousing and 130-150 area to send it over
    FUARK that 1250 into a tranny, didnt even realise :/

early 4g63's i beleive you can bolt up a Mitsubishi express van gearbox, only issue being the gear linkage setup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast