Thread: The Missile My KA24DE AE86 build

Name
    Alex
    State
    Nevada
    Country
    United States

Default "The Missile" My KA24DE AE86 build

Hi my name is Alex. I live here in Las Vegas... Kinda far from you guys (I know) but I wanted to join this board because I have been reading it for the past few weeks & I love what you guys are doing with your cars. I also love getting different perspectives. I feel that if you only talk to the same people all the time your ideas will become stale, and boring.

So I want to put my build on here with the hope that I will be able to learn a lot of new stuff, & meet even more people.

Here goes...

I call it "the missile" because I have no intention of making this car pretty. It's one purpose in life is to be beat up at the track. Strictly a machine built for battle & wall taps.

So here is what's going on so far:

I got the car from a good friend of mine a little over a year ago. It's basically a hand-me-down GTS shell. It was going to be scrapped or sold off because most of the parts have been transfered over to my friends new shell (the black one in the pics below) but I am more than excited to have it now!!

Here is when we started rebuilding the cars:

Putting in some more work.

The interior won't be changing too much. The steering wheel is from a newer corolla, not sure what year.

I might add a dash tho...

So the 20v, tranny, & GTS rear end that used to be in this car have already been swapped into the black car. Over the summer I picked up the new heart: a nicely rebuilt KA24DE from our stateside S13!!! Unfortuneatly our cars never came with SR20's, but a lot of Nissan guys have been swapping to SR's which make the KA very available & inexpensive!! I also think (in some aspects) the KA is under appreciated: it's 2.4L, puts out good torque, & is a very reliable NA motor. I have also seen dozens of them with turbos put out 500-1000hp!!

Anyway: I know the Toyota purists will hate it, but Toyota & Nissan have always been my two favorite brands, so I'm putting the two together. I've also owned a couple S13's over the years & know the power plant pretty well. I have also heard only good things from people who have done the swap before. The motor has a bunch of new parts, ported head, ARP studs, & rebuilt transmission. I already bought a mount kit, & custom one piece driveshaft a few months ago.

Work on the car has been slow, but I finally got to drop off all the stuff I've been collecting about a week ago:

Sorry about the blurry pic (got some grease on my phone lens)

Got the mounts bolted up

The valve cover was looking a little boring so My buddy threw a coat of paint on it...

Everything was going well, then we ran into a slight dilemma with the right side mounting bracket

I didn't have my drill with me so we had to stop.

Next time we are going to: install the clutch & flywheel, transmission, open up the holes on the mounting brackets & drop the motor & trans in.

I gotta get a new radiator, the one I have is about 2 inches too tall. It's off of an integra. My brother in law is a big Honda guy & had it laying in his back yard.
    Here's a pic of it.

Things are coming along nicely. I'm looking for a few random parts now:

-An uncut s13 wire harness
    -I'm thinking of using a Cressida fuel pump since it puts out the perfect amout of fuel for the KA
    -an s13 maf & intake
    -a header & exhaust

Let me know if you have any advice on the build or any parts laying around that you would be willing to ship to the states... If its not too expensive!!

Thanks in advance!!

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey mate, I'm living in LA at the moment and just bough an 86 here. Keen to join you in some track days when your car in finished.

I only just figured out that a GTS diff is a T series Disc LSD and SR5 is S series open. I think
    Last edited by wideslider; 26th February 2013 at 11:31 AM.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Its great to see guys from the US signing up..

And thanks for sharing your ride, we look forward to seeing shots of it at the track...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Alex
    State
    Nevada
    Country
    United States

That would be great. I have a few events that I want to run in once the car is done. I think JustDrift is hosting events every month this year out near you (either at willow springs or Horse Thief Mile... I don't remember... I'll have to check their site)
    Also: VegasDrift is hosting a few events for the Formula D ProAm. I missed the first event this weekend & would love to make it out for the next one.

Can you expand on that?? I don't know a whole lot about the differences in LSDs. Because I only have an SR5 rear end on my car right now: I was just planning on welding the diff & running it like that til it breaks.

Name
    Alex
    State
    Nevada
    Country
    United States

Thank you for the hospitality!!

I will definitely keep you posted on any updates... Especially when it finally gets to the track!! After having this car for a year I can't wait until I can finally drive it!!!

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I'm still doing my research here but so far the SR5 diff is just an open centre, drum diff. Smaller axles and C&P. The GTS had Disc rear with LSD, bigger axles and 6.7"C&P.

They also have different flanges to the tailshaft so the tailshaft needs mods between diffs. Just weld the SR5, drum brakes are better to lock up for sliding.

Name
    Alex
    State
    Nevada
    Country
    United States

Just a quick update:

Work on the crossbred missile has been slow. We are almost done with my buddies 20v project though!! I'm guessing the 20v will be running by the end of the month.

As for my crossbreed: I decided to beautify the valve cover a lil bit & this happened

My wife had a Spider-Man "tow hook buddy" on her car for a long time, & I had a figure of venom hanging from mine (until the neighbor kids stole him a couple months ago) so I thought it would be fitting to continue the Spider-Man theme... Plus Carnage is just so awesome... Who wouldn't want to rock a Carnage valve cover???

I still might throw a layer of clear coat sparkles on it just to make it even more outrageous.... We'll see. For now: I dig it.