Thread: Only in america - news article

Name
    Mick
    State
    sa
    Country
    Aus

Default Only in america - news article

I read online news a little while working and on my lunch break and I came accross today...

Man dons drag to collect dead mum's welfare
    Posted Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:30pm AEST

A New York man has been charged with fraud after dressing up as his dead mother so he could collect more than $145,000 in welfare benefits, prosecutors said.

Thomas Parkin, 49, and accomplice Mhilton Rimolo, 47, face a 47 count indictment for collecting social security benefits amounting to $US52,000 and $US65,000 in rental assistance, according to Brooklyn District Attorney Charles J Hynes.

"These defendants ran a multi-year campaign of fraud that was unparalleled in its scope and brazenness," Mr Hynes said in a statement on Wednesday.

Prosecutors said the pair doctored Parkin's deceased mother's death certificate and provided a false Social Security number.

Parkin dressed in drag to impersonate 77-year-old Irene Prusik and visit the local Department of Motor Vehicles office to renew her driver's licence.

As part of a separate probe into irregularities in the Brooklyn property in Ms Prusik's name, Parkin and Rimolo arranged a meeting between investigators and the older woman.

When prosecutors and detectives arrived, they found Parkin wearing a red cardigan, lipstick and manicured nails.

"I held my mother when she was dying and breathed in her last breath, so I am my mother," Parkin reportedly told authorities during his arrest, CNN reported, citing a law enforcement source.

Bail for the pair was set at $US1 million each, CNN said. If convicted, they could face up to 25 years in prison.

The scam is far out enough but the wierdo "I am my mother" takes the cake!

Just thought I'd share, I love wierd news stories that fit into the 'offbeat' category (would be called different names on different news sites). Might be worth a thread just for funny news articles.

Banned

ahaha thats gold.