Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do it all again..... AE71 Highroof Panelvan - 4AGTE - Moonlight Garage

Name
    Jarrod
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Awesome car mate, that sucks about the clearance issues. I'm keen to see what you come up with, I was planning on making my pano really low since its going to be track only looks like i might have some work to do.
    -------------------Slanty Drifter-------------------

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Thanks Jarrod..... It's been a long journey, with the whole wagon build and accident etc, but so so close now....

Yeah. In simple, It's is not easy to make pannos/wagons low, while retaining any sort of decent rear suspension...

In the last couple of hours, I have raised it 1 inch...... I had 2 inch spacers which I have halfed, and made to 1 inch. I cant drive it just now, so I dont know how it drives just yet..... I actually looks like is has gained enough.... maybe.... I have softened up the shocks too...... If I can dial them in right, It may be fine...

It's about -5 outside, so thats me done for the day.....

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Van is officially registered!!!!

Name
    John
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

You better not be robbing all the good bits out of the submarine for this thing boy!!

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

What good bits?
    All your van has is a 4AC. stockies, and ratty old interior. What is there to even steal?

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Fuck yeaa

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Well, after it's first day of driving, I am glad to be back in a fast Corolla again.....

I still need a wheel alignment (fri), so the front isn't exactly right, but I got them pretty close by eye....

Good points:
    - I dont have a boost controller on it at the moment so it's running a stock 7psi, and it's still really quick and spins the tyres with ease. The engine setup is currently tuned at 16psi, so it's going to be mental once I am running the correct boost.

-All electrics are good and 100% working

- Car drives well

- The diff no longer hits the chassis

- Headlights are awesome. I have no idea what globes are in them. They are 100% better than the Aristo. There is extreme fog where I drive home at night in winter, and the fog lights worked great.

Bad points:
    - Brake pedal feel is shithouse. It got a R32 master cyl for it, which I suspect is cactus. That, or the rear wheel cyl's, which come to think of it, is actually probably more likely actually.. I've checked all brake line connections and nipples, and there are no leaks. I have bled the system 3 times. (2 person method). I will inspect the rear wheel cyls.

- Fuel odour in car. Cant find any leaks or wet spots, but it's noticeable in the car. I had this same fuel system (except for the surge tank) in the AE71 wagon, and had ZERO fuel odour, so I need to find where the smell is coming from.

- Engine is taking a long time to warm up. Coming home from work tonight (12:30am, minus -4 cold canberra), I let the car warm up for almost 15 minutes before I finished work. When I went to leave, water temp was only 62deg after idleing for 15 minutes (temp on Microtech hand controller). Anyway, after driving, it went up to about 75deg. I turned the heater on. The heater blew COLD air. Not only was it blowing cold air, but the engine water temp dropped dramatically, down to the 50's. I turned the heater off, and it slowly started to creep up again. I only had a few minutes more to drive.
    It doesn't sound like the thermostat got a chance to even open. I must have some of the water routing slight wrong, so I will have to have a look at that.....

- I dont know what I was thinking putting my most hated of things in the car. Welded diffs.... The diff in it is a welded E series from a Lite Ace. I picked it up really cheap, and the 7'1 crown wheel is what attracted me to it, no so much the weldy. It's fucking horrible. I cant see how people can drive around with them without destroying their cars. What I am thinking, is to get the mounts swapped over to leaf on a RA60 T series I have lying about. Then I can use a TRD 2 way centre T series. Being a smaller diff too, it will help with any diff --> chassis impacts too.....

-Passenger door window mech is dodgy. Doesn't wind properly and wont stay at the top

- I need wider wheels at the back. Time to get out the hammers.......

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Locker lyf

Name
    Nathan
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Good to see here back on the road! well done mate!

One thing i would say about the locker, they seem to be way more harsh with leaf rear ends, just my experience anyway!

Fuck i miss this thing

Name
    Sam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

- Engine is taking a long time to warm up. Coming home from work tonight (12:30am, minus -4 cold canberra), I let the car warm up for almost 15 minutes before I finished work. When I went to leave, water temp was only 62deg after idleing for 15 minutes (temp on Microtech hand controller). Anyway, after driving, it went up to about 75deg. I turned the heater on. The heater blew COLD air. Not only was it blowing cold air, but the engine water temp dropped dramatically, down to the 50's. I turned the heater off, and it slowly started to creep up again. I only had a few minutes more to drive.
    It doesn't sound like the thermostat got a chance to even open. I must have some of the water routing slight wrong, so I will have to have a look at that.....

Its odd my car seems to be doing the exact same thing. I originally thought it was my thermostat stuck open but I changed it and it still does it on cold mornings. it won't heat up past 40 or 50 and cardboard in front of the rad helps but still doesn't solve it, is yours also using a lot of fuel while running cold? its like mines running on a cold tune and just drinking the fuel.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast