Thread: SR20 conversion using RB25DET gearbox

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

rb20det and sr20det boxes are practically identical

Only real difference (and hence the point of doing it) is that an rb20 box with an sr bellhousing moves the shifter around 2 inches forward in the cabin. It just means that you dont have to cut the shifter hole as big and that you have less problems with hitting the handbrake when selecting 4th.

So yeah, you gain no strength from the change.

Ken, wouldn't you need to connect some kind of scavenge pump if you wanted to install a trans cooler? Its not like they come standard with one Sounds like an awfully large amount of work...

The solution I am going with is simple... Don't run 50 ba-gillion rear wheel kilowatts in a car that will already be a weapon with around 200. Box should cope fine (even with some abuse) as long as you put in good quality oil. Solved QED

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Oh, that doesn't seem to happen with me driving. Haha.

Yeah, mocal or someone sells oil pumps for gearbox/diff cooling. You pull from the back down low and put it back in at the front. Or you can just over fill it by a litre or so and run the breather line up high into a overflow bottle. The cheap way out.

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Haha I did that with a diff once..

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

think you can also go z32 gearbox, 300zx? apparently in the states they sell brand new z32 rebuilt boxes. This would be the go if your THAT worried and if you got monies for spare hunnies.

Reason why they get crazy clutch setup is to prevent any chance of clutch slip at that power, even at 250rwkw clutch can slip and burn on the dyno during the tune, so its about finding the best for your setup i guess

300rwkw is a lot. suspension and tyre choice will be critical as well as brakes. its series power and you need a serious car to coupe with it.
    dose

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

richard didnt read the whole thread....

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

and the clutches I listed will hold that power (coppermix at 420ps and hypersingle at 400ps) and not break gearboxes regularly. Not saying that it won't break it ever but it'll have a longer life.

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So anyway, been there done that and here are the results.

170rwkw SR Sprinter with a SR20 gearbag and an organic clutch, box is still loving life after 2 years.

250rwkw SR Sprinter with a SR20 gearbag and an organic clutch, two laps.

I am VERY light and polite of gearboxes and clutch kicks. Always have had 195's. I didnt think twice about cutting the crap and going straight to a 25 box. If your going to push 300kw, while its unnecessary, your also going to get no where with SR boxes if your drifting. Dont bother with it, go 25.

Also for those others that have posted, I would preference the 25 box over the Z32 box, they are both similar strengths, however the Z32 has a horrid external shifter that constantly flogs out bushes.

Name
    Matt
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Oh, and your original question. I cut my tunnel out, and moved the whole thing back 100mm. Then boxed the gap. (LUL BOXGAP).

VS commo auto ute tunnel has been adapted before with good results if you want a more factory look maybe?

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Always good to hear from someone who has actually done it mate, if I end up shooting for bigger numbers in the long run I will definitely use your advise!

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2