Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australias highest KMS on a Toyota 86 and issues experienced..

Name
    Andrew
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

The intake ports will clog up due to the fact the injectors are in the combustion chambers and not in the port, when its in the port the fuel itself is the cleaner but once you only have air through the port it clogs ups.... Pretty common on VW direct injection.....

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

If you only have air in the port and your getting a build up that's got nothing to do with direct injection or not, that's just poor egr or pcv control or somethings wrong with the air filter. I wonder how the Subaru upper engine cleaner would go with the direct injection?

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Carbon buildup in the intake is not just common to VW DI engines, most manufacturers are experiencing this issue with 'first generation' DI motors.

I was going to post something like this last night but remembered that the 86 uses Toyotas D4-S system, which has direct AND port injection, port injection being introduced at higher RPM for better fuel atomization. This kind of reduces the chances that this is the cause of rough idling issues, however it does not eliminate them, as this issue can occur on port injection motors.

When i've dealt with this in the past on port injection vehicles that experienced intake carbon issues (esp carboned up valves) - normally vehicles with very low kilometers for their age - we've used subaru upper cylinder cleaner for 'minor' cases and a 'special blend' fed straight into the intake for heavier carbon problems.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

blend 43? cleans my ports like clockwork

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Or Metamucil?

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I have also heard there isn't a way of bleeding off excessive fuel pressure with the direct port injection setup...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Josho
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Do you mean there's no way to bleed off residual fuel pressure? On the port injection side or the DI side?

You might need to rephrase that one.

Rule of thumb with DI systems - If you don't understand it, don't fuck with it.
    You can have any brew you want... as long as it's a Datsun / Corolla / What is that?

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

On the DI system. And agree with the comments if you don't understand it don't mess with it.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Issue fixed at service, system has not dropped out since.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Nice

Rear deck was clicking on my November built 86 - mainly under chassis load changes and the odd bump. Common issue solved by "adjusting" the spotwelds (by adjusting I mean prying/opening up the gap between a few key spot welds) under the rear deck (visible from inside the boot). After a lot of trial and error I finally found the one causing the clicking and can drive in silence

If you get a clicking/popping rear deck, Toyota/Subaru in Australia will use some wd40 between the welds which will wear off over time (not to mention will give you a strong odour inside the cabin). The process I mentioned is used by technicians in Japan
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast