Name
    Marco
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Default T50 to 4agze w/ 20v flywheel

CAR - Soon to be in ke70.
    MOTOR - 4agze w/ 20v flywheel and t50 transmission.
    PROBLEM/QUESTION - gearbox wont quite go on.

Hi all

I am currently in the process of a 4agze into ke70 engine swap and encountered yet another problem:
    I fitted my clutch and pressure plate, going to great lengths to ensure that the clutch was central so that the gearbox would slide right on, and proceeded to fit the gearbox. This is where my troubles started. The gearbox simply would not slide on. i even attempted to use the bolts to pull it on but abandoned that as i did not want to break my clutch or anything along those lines. After pulling it off i deduced that the gearbox shaft had gone in as far as possible as the lube that i covered the whole thing with had been wiped off and deposited on the rim of the spigot bearing (PICTURED BELOW).

So this is what Im trying to get around now. The gearbox/bellhousing sold to me were sold as T50 and as far as i can tell (from looking at pictures) they are, they fit together quite nicely and everything seems there. yet the bellhousing just seems too shallow or the gearbox shaft is too long or perhaps it is something to do with the flywheel i am using (beeing a 20v flywheel)? Im at a real loss for answers so any suggestions would be great. so far all i have come up with is perhaps i will need a spacer to push the bellhousing further up...but i have no idea haha.

This seems to be as far as the damn thing will go on. I really hope i havent done something super amateurish. Be gentle with me, its my first time .

Name
    Ali
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Sometimes you just have to wrestle with the prick of a thing
    You don't have a dowel in the block and a dowel in the bell hitting against each other?
    Are you sure its a 20V flywheel? and not a 4AGZE flywheel.
    What's the diameter?
    200mm 16V
    212mm 20V
    225mm GZE
    How did you "ensure" the clutch plate was lined up? Do you have a dummy shaft?
    How tight did you do up the pressure plate? did you torque wrench, or just F/Off tight with spanner/socket?
    Last edited by Futo_gt86; 26th April 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Name
    Marco
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Measured the diameter of the friction area to around 213mm and the 20v flywheel is said to be 212mm from memory so its not a gze flywheel as they are 224mm (once again from memory) and the 212mm clutch i have sits perfectly on the contact area of the flywheel along with the backing plate that sits on the dowels and bolts up without dramas. Didnt use a dummy shaft, just a socket combo that sat in the spigot bearing and clutch nice and snug (the same method a friend used) but i could tell from the way the grease had been wiped clean from the tip of the gbox shaft that sits in the spigot bearing that it had been in there and deposited the grease that had been wiped clean off said tip onto the rim of the inner circle of the spigot bearing (I have pictures, hope everyone can see them) that it had been in there and that the teeth of the clutch had gone fairly far up the splines of the gearbox (pictured). Looking at the gearbox shaft, it seems to sit almost flush with the rim of the bellhousing and from looking at where the spigot bearing is and how far the bellhousing has to go I get the feeling that the bellhousing is not deep enough or that shaft is too long orr im missing something. Also checked for the dowels, both are on the block side and are lined up with the associated holes, they are almost on, bout halfway before i gave up, and as for wrestling it - i actually tried to pull it on using the m12-75mm-1.25 bolts seen in the pic but they got stupidly tight and i didnt want to fuck anything up by forcing it. Tightened the backing plate using a socket, tourque wrench i had didnt go low enough.
    Last edited by Magyur; 26th April 2013 at 10:18 PM.

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Take the clutch off and fit trans, see if clutch is problem?

Name
    Marco
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

closer inspection showed that there was a spigot bearing spacer, engine must have been hooked up to a w series box or something. not sure how im going to go about getting the spigot spacer out thought. thinking im gonna have to put a thread on it and use a bolt.

Name
    Ali
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, that will do it.
    Let me know if you get the spacer out without damaging it.

Name
    Marco
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Got it out, made from aluminium so its not as pretty as it used to be. Still in good enough condition to get it replicated incase I ever decide to go w series. Kinda wish I could have gotten it out in good condition but oh well.