Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 86 won't kick over

Name
    Tore Daniel
    State
    Norway
    Country
    Norway

Just slam the 4-pin in anyway, the fusebox aint built like you`d think at first glance (I`ve had a good look inside one), you can ignore the plastic-covered 3-pin contact though and probably you can leave that other jumped 4-pin as well.

K, all those wires are matching up to eachother, double check the plug on the engine harness too, if theres a wire on that that doesnt exist on your body harness then its worth finding out

Seems to be in order though, those red & black wires with black dots are unknown to me as well (I`ve seen them too but never figured out what the hell they are for), toyota wiring diagram kinnda sucks at wiring colors (I.e they`ll sometimes be completely a different color than the diagram states ) so I can`t find the ones for my lights (Manual states red-blue for left hand light, red-lightblue for right hand light, but I see red-green and shit )

But you should have a wire for ECU, Coil and Ignitor..
    This sorta stuff is out of my league but: does the car at all sound like the plugs are sparking?

Cuz if it aint then I think you have to find the wire for ECU, coil and ignitor still, if you had a diagram manual this should not be an issue finding

Also, if fuses and relays are dying despite having earthed engine block (Somewhere close to starter is a good idea for example) and engine head (Usually at the back of it some where) it would be a good idea to check if engine harness is earthed.
    Check from ECU terminals and out, if theres no grounding eye-let`s anywhere thats an issue.
    I do agree though, you had this car running, then switched alternator side and voilĂ# engine is not working all of a sudden..
    Last edited by Tore; 1st May 2013 at 07:49 PM.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

mmmm ok i will have a look again tomorrow make sure that i havent missed a ground and will have a search for a wiring diagram to track those leads down and let u know how i go tomorrow thanks for the help again... just trying to remember if anything else was moved when i did the alternator but i dont think it was so might change some relays as well in case i fried one of them maybe not sure

Name
    Tore Daniel
    State
    Norway
    Country
    Norway

Use a multimeter to find out if relay is fried instead of throwing them in the bin without knowing whether theyre toast, in particular because if the relay isnt even getting power that means the fault is not with the relay!

There should be a diagram for the 3-4 types of Toyota relays in foot well and engine bay fusebox, with normal off the shelf 20/25/30amp relays you get in hardware/car stores its like this: 30 is from power source (i.e battery), 86 is switch (Like if its connected to ignition), 85 is earth (From relay to earth on car body/Engine block) and 87 is whatever receives the power (I.e fuel pump/instrument panel/whatever)
    sorta like this

so should be a similar diagram for the Toyota 3-pin, 4-pin and 5-pin relays as well, basically you make up a little circuit that you can use to test relays, connect a power source to relay 12v source pin (I.e 30) and a wire from power source to a switch, then to 86, then connect multimeter on relay output pin (In this case 87) and the other cable to earth, if multimeter shows no output when you test the switch with battery power on then you know its fried, if not the fault might be found on the relay that powers the relay you just tested.. Or maybe even in the wiring itself (Burnt wire or bad earth)
    If you havent got a multimeter, get one..
    Also did you make sure that when you cut and spliced the alternator wires, that the wires go the same way? I.e not alternator ground on alternator output and so forth
    Last edited by Tore; 1st May 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

It runs timing was so fucked it wasn't funny so it runs now getting power to everything thanks for every thing tore

Name
    Craig
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Check the 60 amp fuse that's on your battery positive terminal. When mine blew it cut everything out, engine wouldn't start etc. I did this after changing alternator and its wiring.

edit: my bad didn't see your last post. How was ur timing ratshit if the motor ran fine before n you've only changed the alt??

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yer man it was blown but all good now it runs

Name
    Nick
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Had a dude play with a few things and he pulled the cam gears off to put the backing plate on and then put it back together wrong grrr

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

better check that timing again then

Name
    Tore Daniel
    State
    Norway