Name
    Damian
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Default reoccuring 4age problems - help/advice needed

the same problems keep reoccuring with my japanese ae86:

- coolant temp sensor keeps breaking, works for a while then sits on coldest temperature forever
    - coil throwing off sparks, had it replaced about two years ago now the new one is doing the same thing
    - throttle is erratic, non-responsive fixed it once then I didn't drive the car for ages, battery went flat. when I replaced the battery and started driving again same problem occured, no mechanic or electrician knows how to fix it. VERY annoying to drive!

need some advice on what to do. this car is literally costing me a fortune as I have to replace parts and pay for repairs all the time. I think whoever owned it last fucked around with engine, electronics and wiring as certain parts are missing. like cold start injector and some pipes are actually blocked off with screws.

what would be the cheapest way to fix my situation? I'm thinking of just getting another blue top engine that is complete, unmodified and working fine if it's even possible to find one. any disadvantages to getting a red top instead which seem a lot more common? who can replace the engine for me and fix all the wiring in Adelaide? what about taking it Toyota to see if they can find the problem?
    Last edited by extra_anchovy; 7th May 2013 at 06:48 PM.

Name
    Rian
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

- When you say the coolant temp sensor keeps breaking, do you mean the same sensor has intermittent problems, or you keep replacing the sensor only to have it break each time? The problem may not even be the sensor but the wires and/or plug that go to the sensor. Get an ECU pinout diagram and check for continuity between the temp sensor plug and the corresponding pin on the ECU plug next time the sensor isn't working.

- Use dielectric grease (get it from Repo/Supercheap/Autobahn) where the high tension lead plugs onto the coil. This will help prevent any arcing, also make sure the boot on the high tension lead is not damaged where it plugs onto the coil.

- Try setting your throttle position sensor as per the 4AGE manual. But I'm pretty sure the car will actually drive reasonably well without the TPS, it may stutter a bit on takeoff or something but it shouldn't be too bad.

Also having the cold start injector and idle-up hoses etc blocked off with bolts is pretty common.

Going to a redtop/smallport will be a pretty big task, you will need to modify a smallport manifold (only came in FWD format) and wire up a new loom at the least.
    Last edited by rianwest; 7th May 2013 at 11:15 PM.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Sounds like the problem isn't the engine at all, either a fault in the loom or possibly even a poor earth under the inlet manifold (most important earth in the 4age loom) or even possibly in the ecu itself. I would get the loom checked out as there could be a short somewhere overloading or arcing the sensor and causing it to fail much like the coil. Also possibly an alternator overcharging and damaging components?=

Name
    Damian
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I have an electric dash. The sensor works for a while, sits in the middle of the scale. Then after a short while it breaks and it sits on the very bottom of the scale forever.
    I have no idea how to do that electric stuff, my electrician said it would cost about 300 just to test it. Maybe it's cheaper to just buy a secondhand ECU. What about after market or new ones?

I don't think its the tps its been adjusted many times by electricians and I even bought a new one a while back.

Name
    Damian
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

thanks for the suggestion I'll ask the electrician how much it will cost to test the loom. the alternator was replaced not too long ago

I just took got it back from Toyota. All they did was replace the spark plugs and didn't do anymore because they said it's too old and they can't get the manual.
    Unbelievable they made the car they should have all manuals available to them! If anyone knows someone in Adelaide who would be able to fix it please let me know and not Fours'N More they just ripped me off and didn't even fix it.
    Surely there must be someone in Adelaide how do all the other AE86 owners get their car's fixed?
    Last edited by extra_anchovy; 9th May 2013 at 06:53 PM.

Name
    Lindsay
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

talk to dave at ajps (site sponsor)