Thread: Rob's KE70

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I haven't really posted in a while, I got back from Japan after a 2 year stint, the KE was in a storage location all that time. When the tow guy dropped it off to me he said he was amazed that it started first time because most new cars don't.
    I just put through a fresh tank of fuel, oil and coolant change and all was well to keep driving the as a daily.
    This car is just so fun to drive it seriously just brings a big grin to my face every time I drive it.

But now the time has come to sell it though as I am going overseas for work again... so I need to get a RWC so I took it to a guy I know to give it a quick look over, he reckons all I need is the heater to be hooked up. We'll see what happens when I take it in for the full RWC but should be ok.

When I first put in the 4AGE, to get it running I just ran a bypass circuit for the heater, I didn't have a tap or any plumbing.
    Off to center rd wrecker to get some lengths of hose and a tap. I found the perfect tap for the KE70 on an AW11, in case anybody is doing similar. The difficult thing is to find one that will fit where the original KE one sits and directs the hoses from the back of the 4AGE in the right direction.
    The AW11 tap has a bottom inlet and a 90degree bend directing the flow to the passenger side direction of the engine bay (most other 90's model vehicles have one that directs in the opposite direction which sends the routing towards the brake booster) from 2000's onwards there seems to no tap at all, probably been integrated into the heater unit.

Pretty much looks like it is supposed to be there.

And some photos just because it's a nice day

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

glad to see this running, last time i saw you rob you were building this up.
    not sure who is doing your rwc but the car would need to be engineered with that motor, thank vicroads for such stupidity.
    even people with adm 86's get defected for running 4ages these days

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Hey! Did you ever manage to find a diff and the other stuff you needed for your car?

Had it inspected by VicRoads and they were ok with it. The guidelines say that if the same engine was offered as an option in that vehicle then it is fine to change it over provided that the same brakes/suspension are also installed and the engine is not modified to produce 20% more power. They specifically state that no engineers cert is required. This only applies for vehicles sold in Australia.
    So guys running 4AGE's in ADM sprinters should be ok as long as the vented rotors are fitted, especially since the 4AGE 86 was homologated in Australia.

Just because the police issue a defect does not mean that the car is not legal, sometimes they just do because they think they can. I was issued an EPA notice and defect for my last 86 for noise. Just had it noise tested and it was under so it was taken off with no modification required.

The AE71 has a 4A and runs the same brakes/ suspension etc as the KE70... the 4AGE is simply a twincam, EFI variant of the 4AC in the AE71... bit of a stretch? lol
    I will be keeping the paperwork showing this engine number in the glovebox at all times just in case!

As far as RWC goes, as long as the engine number is the same as the one registered with Vic roads and they can tick all of the road worthy items off the list then they said they are fine with it, somebody else signed off on the engine number so not their responsibility.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3