Thread: Matts Clean RA65 Coupe

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ok, thanks for the tip on the stezza.

I just want decent sound quality and to be able to connect the ipod. And yeah I reckon Im just going to get some really small tweeters for the stock spots. I have a pair of 4 inch I could fit but they are a bit too wide for the spot and Id like to do it without ruining too much trim.

I wasn't going that low, maybe 30mm down with the kings, I was just planning on using some ke70/ae86 rear shocks as a shorter stroke option as they arent as short as the commode ones. I had the commodore ones in my first corolla.

Name
    Adrian
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Yeah my hatch had an aftermarket headunit and a pocket underneath and it all fitted alright. Pretty sure the front has 4 speakers like a 3" and then the small one that you mentioned
    You could probably get 4" in the stock 3" spot with some cutting but you generally dont get very good sound from 4" anyway haha

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

I wouldn't bother with king rears. Just go to the wrecker and get some pedders or kings from a falcon and cut a little off.

If you want kings you can buy mine and I'll get falcons as I want it slightly higher.

Best find! SOO CLEAN! How is the auto? I imagine it's pretty slow?

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Auto is ok. Its reasonable off the line. It suits the character of the car right now. Its just for belting around town, often while eating and drinking. Auto is great for that. Its actually reasonable smooth. The thing that pisses me off is this one squeak. Blip the steering one way it disappears, but drive straight or turn the other way it aqueaks from a wheel, just like a mellow brake squeak, but its getting annoying. Might have to service the hubs and brakes soon.

Coming from a 20v ae71 with a 4.6 diff its a lot more civilised and quiet.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

22RE is a great daily motor.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah I agree except they use a lot of fuel for how fast they go in my opinion.

Id like to swap it out for another engine but if I did I would want an easy swap with obd series ecu. Something from the second gen of Toyota efi, but short of a v6 nothing is really an upgrade. About the only thing that makes sense is a 2 or 3 rz or live with the 22re and get the best from it.

Expecting my new heater core in the mail any day now.

Probably going to buy a Blaupunkt toronto hea unit and some speakers for it. Maybe a single 8 inch sub, a pair of splits and a pair of 6x9s. Don't want to spend much, so Ill probably buy the head unit and then bludge cheap speakers from wherever I can get them.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I just put in a basic headunit in my rt142 with replacement 4 inch 2 way fronts and 6 inch 2 way rears, Sounds good for a cheap system. 10x better than stock even though speaker sizes are the same. Milled out a tiny bit of the factory mounts in the front to fit, the rears i drilled out the rivets on the stock mounts that unbolt from the parcel shelf and the 6inchers riveted straight back in. I'd assume they would be very similar.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

There are no parcel shelf speakers in my car.

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

We run an under-seat fusion sub and amp in the mira, it's pretty good. Combined with some good 4" or 6" speakers it's rad.

22RE is good, throw a cam in and drive. I'm sure the old auto is taking power away also.

Name
    Matt
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah its a pretty low effort ideal going on here. That said. I put it up on stands and fixed the squeak that it had coming from the wheels. I isolated it to front left. Found that a numpty mechanic had jammed the shim under the pad in crooked and made it rub on the rotor while changing pads, so i suspect that as the pad wore it began to touch, ad got louder and louder. So it was dragging and rubbing as the wheel moved around a little with a lil play in the bearing. Tightened it up, bent the shim straight, cleaned it all and put back together after skimming off the pads on the linisher, and a light score of the rotors. Then a few decent stops to bed them in and now its silence again and the brakes still fell amazing.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast