Thread: 第2赤池の八六

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Brad, where did you get your car imported from?
    What did you have to do to get it registered?
    There are quite a few events like gymkhanas and the like so I should be busy enough!

Name
    Jake
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Super cool

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Hey Rob. I know the guy who imported the car but didn't know much as to the cars passed or where it came from. I was told it was built by a local tuning mob for a guy who competed in a local form of racing, it was brought from the race track on the day and shipped straight here. The car had a heap of paperwork in the glove box for all Cusco gear etc that sat in my cupboard for years but until you asked I never had it translated to get some history. The 2 most important documents were a wheel alignment sheet and paperwork for the last day it raced with lap times. So my mate translated the wheel alignment sheet and the key things were as follows.

Alignment machine: Labo
    Company name: Prime Garage
    Owners name: Tono
    Number plate in Japan: 46-09
    Date: 02 march at 11:48pm.

Time sheets from the last day it raced.
    Race class: F
    Car number: 33
    Best lap was 2"21.091
    Ran second in class only beaten by another AE86 on the day.

Name
    Brad
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

As far as getting it regoed here it was a big job hey. I totally stripped out the front end, fitted a stock 86 front end as it was all rose jointed, changed the brakes, removed the adjustable panhard, changed rear springs, fitted interior in the rear, changed exhaust, removed cage, changed wheels, fitted intrusion bars in doors, changed all seat belts also just bits and pieces. After it passed it was all built back up again to how it was...Lol. Have a quick gander at my build thread for the parts in it.

Great to hear there's plenty of events for you to do over there, would be awesome! Mate you will have to give us a run down on the specs of the N2 engine your having built.

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Time for an update, engine is still not finished but should be done this week.

Engine work being done:

Block deck & 1mm overbore
    Toda pistons
    Silicone lapping on bores
    TRD HG
    New bearings
    New oil pump (shimmed for higher pressure)
    lightened and balanced crank
    Lightweight flywheel
    Shim-less buckets (even though I have to use std cams they are slightly lighter, the shims need to be re-done because of the seat cutting and my mechanic has a whole bunch so they are almost as cheap as shims)

Also;
    Twin core radiator
    remove aircon
    3 puk clutch
    lower engine mounts

Car has been sitting here with the engine out for a couple of weeks

The engine was due to be finished today, however the car was
    with no engine when I went into check up on it... The valves had been cut to match the seat however when assembled and the mech measured the combution chamber volume with LLC and they leaked... so the valves will have to go back for adjustment.

Toda pistons 1mm oversize

Head cleaned up and a 3 angle valve cut done, also some mild porting to match up the intake and exhaust ports.

Engine overbore, each cylinder was done to match each piston.
    ALso had the bores silicone lapped which I have never heard of before but apparently reduces friction losses.

Crank machined and balanced, also you can see it's had some meat taken off for mass reduction

BBQ in the workshop with friends and customers (there's a bbq in the middle of the group of people)
    was quite funny as there were a bunch of 3 year olds running around the workshop and playing with the tools and everything. It was a miriacle that none were hurt after that they went outside to play with fireworks ahaha

Block assembled with pistons

Veteran
    Name
    Rob
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Oh last week I converted my Aus licence to a Jap one, in aus I have a restricted motorbike licence but the restriction ended last week. So in Japan I get an unlimited licence which means I can get a bike of any size
    Took one of these bad boys for a test ride and reckon I might get one for my daily commute
    There is a 2013 dealer demo going for about 8k which is very cheap compared to new in Aus

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

great choice in bike. i love the triples and am getting a new daytona once i get home.
    good to see progress on the car mate
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2