Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Beau Yates - Toyota 86 Monster Build

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Especially with all these pro drifters with awesome Facebook pages...
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

it has been around properly since 2004 so almost 10 years....and its not changed much, more people having a go for sure,

but bigger? maybe in QLD? it used to be bigger in SA when it was 'new' and people were curious about it

mallala used to have packed stands and now half full at best

maybe because there is twice as many events and it is over saturated

I am not sure, but it struggles to be taken seriously which is why major sponsorship maybe harder? (it is for all motorsport events)

Im not at all anti drift - doing skids with your mates is awesome

but to me competition drift will always be to motorsport what

20/20 is to test cricket, UFC is to boxing - maybe more popular, but ultimately over glorified, and lacking all the elements and in turn the respect of the traditional format and tailored to appeal to younger audiences.

So to me, Beau, with his talent, a car of that level seems wasted on drift.
    Last edited by AJPS; 9th December 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I haven't read a single thing about the build since, well, I don't really have much of an interest in cars. But I sorta walked past the car through the pits on sunday and had a quick look hoping to see it later at some 86 dudes meet up. Car is built real good. No complaints from me which is unusual because I complain about everything. It moves well but drives like a typical 86 and the suspension needs work to make it less snappy on the switchbacks. After seeing it drive, was very surprised that he managed to get TQ with an untested car, first time out in a comp.

Was way cool hanging out with Beau and talking about his (new) 86 and 86's in general after the event. Super nice guy and very passionate. I'm very appreciative of him to come and spend 3 hours or so, in the cold, with the 86 club here. Thanks Beau!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

BC coilovers will do that..
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Ken
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Nope. Taniguchi's HKS car does it, Orido's car does it, dunno about nomuken's car.

Hibino's car is really easy to drive. But that's not due to damping/springing according to Beau.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I could not agree more, I feel as if it is still seen to most as young people 'having fun' as opposed to an actual serious motor sport, it does deserve more recognition but like you said, very overglorified

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Part of my issue with it is the subjective judging , traditional sports you have a clear winner. The big $$$ are in 20/20 so I can see the same happening in drift. Just need someone with renewed passion to run it

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

that raises another point - 20/20 cricket has been used to discover some talented test crickets - or those that show enough potential/talent can adapt,

perhaps drift could be used for people to get noticed and then get wild card entries in the the '5 day event' a rally, test crickets equivalent....

although the wide flat tracks of australia are a far cry from conditions you would encounter in a forest etc
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Monkhouse is doing ok in the arc isn't he? I don't know much of his history other than drifting
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

jack is the rally guy with the s15 (had vr4s etc before)

tom has dabbled with rally and drift and done well in drift

the whole family is very motorsport dedicated

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast