Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toyota 86 + Forced induction = BOOOOOOOOOOM!

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I would have thought that the oil pump would/should always be over engineered.
    Anyone can make an engine pop. Need more info

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

for the power gains people are getting from these engines under forced induction i dont know why people bother with it when left with standard internals. if i was going to boost one of these motors i would lower the compression ratio to run more boost.

with such a high compression ratio turbo im not surprised it went bang. i know with the direct injection you can stop the engine from knocking with correct tuning, but even when that is done you still run into over heating issues.

i would suspect this failure would most likely be related to over heating and the driver continued to thrash it.

i understand where everyone is coming from with the oil pump being variable pressure, but do you honestly believe that this engine blew when revving under 4000rpm?

thanks for the insight on the oil pump btw Frak. everything i keep reading and hearing about this engine points leads me to this conclusion:
    idle-4000rpm: the engine is designed to be as fuel efficient as possible
    4000rpm-redline: the engine is designed to take on a different nature

this is simply because most people barely drive their cars over 3000rpm when daily driving, and barely rev their cars under 5000rpm when seriously thrashing them.

sure the torque curve drop sucks but you dont even notice it in either scenario. i know i dont.

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

High comp turbo is so much fun, no lag amazing throttle response etc. I used to think turbo must be < 9:1 comp but after driving one with 11:1 my attitude changed.

e85 also helps allot with the concerns you raised dan.

Ecu's today no longer have the latency they used to have allowing what wouldn't work 5 years ago to work today.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Michael
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Correct me if im wrong honda guys have been straping turbos to high comp engines for years now

Name
    daniel
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

hi. i could be talking about something i know nothing about but when i got my 86. i was talking to toypta about turbo charging it. and they told me about a dude that aparantly turbod an 86. and took i strait to the track and ran 22 pound and blow the engine. is this that 86. sorry for the spelling. i cant see what im writing for some reason

E-Famous (Remeber your roots)
    Name
    marvis
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Fuckkkkk nice.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Its unlikely that its the same one, a few have been forced induction engines have been lunched just in Australia, let alone the world...

I think Castle hill performance center were the first in Aus and from memory they did it out on the putty road (or somewhere similar) then towed it back to the workshop, took the turbo and aftermarket loom off then went back to Toyota to try and claim warranty, lol

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Dan/Rio
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

buy these if you wanna have decent FI engine without cooling issues and reliability

Quote Originally Posted by ae86 View Post
    ive come to the conclusion dan has more STi's than a Subaru Dealership, yeah i went there

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Robbo, I have spoken about this issue with CHE before. I know Dale quite well and can say with certainty that there was no attempt at a warranty claim. There were certainly a bunch of people that were happy to get on the CHE bashing bandwagon after it happened. At the end of the day they took a risk and the engine let go. They were the first to do it so they were always going to run into issues and Dale has fully documented the whole build including the issues and outcomes.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Fair enough Paul, maybe it was a different car, but when I dropped my car at Windsor Toyota for the 1000km inspection/service the guy working the desk happened to live 2 doors down when we were growing up. He told me the story that someone had brought one in with all the loom slashed and a blown motor. He said they then simply typed in the rego number in youtube and sure enough there were videos of it being dyno-tuned with a turbo hanging off it. This conversation happened only a couple of days before I heard about the CHE car breaking their engine. When I heard about it I connected the stories given that Windsor is so close to Castle Hill and that when I watched videos of their dyno-tuning the licence plates were clearly visible (and I believe even tagged in the description).

However, linking the two stories was an assumption I made, so if it wasn't that car it must have been another.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast