Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Sunny Ute

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Underside painted, diff is 90% assembled and back in, Small odds and ends have been finished up and HOPEFULLY I'll have the bay/cabin sprayed this weekend ready for shit to be installed again. I'm sick of having parts everywhere!

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

New Panels were bought for this, so I got the front end assembled to check where the new beaver had to be welded on.

I couldn't help myself but test fit my front lip. It's a Diahatsu Handy front bar. It still needs final trimming once I have the lights etc in but it's the rough idea I wanted. I've kept all the cut off bits though because I might use the fins in the bar still. Not sure yet.

The interior was cleaned and then seam sealed

While this was drying I decided to coat the underside

The next day I primed the interior

Diff was sorted, sealed the centre properly and tightened it all in, as well as the axles with the caliper brackets etc

Decided to seal all the seams in the bay too, so they were masked up, sealed and smoothed over to get rid of the nasty seam lines and fill in any gaps between seams to prevent water getting in there

Engine dropped out with a final coat of primer

Had to press the extractors a bit, they are AE86 items and were hitting the chassis rail. Pressed them down about 100mm to try and bend them in 20mm, left them in there overnight and then they fitted perfectly.

Sprayed the bay in the colour that I'll be using for the whole car. Got the engine back in along with all the other odds and bobs for the bay. Still not happy about that carb manifold so I've got a flange ordered to make my own one the way I want it done!

RX2 rad installed, washer bottle, rad overflow, AE86 coilovers, Datsun 1200 camber tops....

Speaking of AE86 front struts in these, this is the lock you get. Well this is with my setup anyway. AE86 struts, AE86 power steering arms, AE86 manual steering rack. Clears everything by ~10mm with 13x8 -11 offset. Sold these wheels though due to wanting 8.5's all round.

I've moved all the relays etc out of the engine bay to hide them under the dash in the cabin, currently dealing with wires and shit and trying to work out whats going where. I hate wiring and I haven't even started doing the dash, engine or new KE70 steering column combination switches!

All wiring and bonnet latch cable was moved from going through the engine bay to the wheel arch area of the car and is coming into the bay under the relocated battery tray and will be run through wiring tube to try and protect it from rocks etc.

Anyway, this is where I'm up to. The list keeps growing! Stay tuned.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Holy jeebus, this is amazing, that front lip is sick too man, great work, keep it up

Veteran
    Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

^ yep

this is very impressive

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Cheers guys!

There'll be more work done over the weekend, hopefully get the fuel/brake lines back in and get the rear brakes all set up!

Name
    John
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

Gonna be awesome

Name
    Daniel
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

Nice work mate! Makes me wanna get stuck back into my 4AGE Sunnyt truck!

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

So I sold my SSR starsharks that I had for this due to the 9's being too wide for the back. Want 8.5's all round, not really a fan of staggered wheel sizes either.

Bought a set of SSR superstars from Japan. 13x6.5 +13 offset so I'm going to get them re barrelled to 8.5's. Got an absolute bargain too, $200 for a full set! Stoked!

Name
    Clint
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Bit of an update..

Decided it was out with the stock tailgate latches. Didn't want a 70's door handle on the back of my car so the mounts were cut out

and they were welded up all flat to allow for the new latches

Got the carbon fibre Aerocatch latches and then marked them out/mounted them

All finished and mounted to the car

The most fab work was done on the inside of the tailgate that you don't even see, I'll have a photo of that in a bit when I remember to do it. I'm stoked with how it turned out, I wasn't really feeling confident on how it was going to look but it looks real clean now which is what I was after!

Right now I'm fabbing up the new intake manifold, then the carbs will be staying on the engine for good!

Name
    Simon
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Some Dato ute styling here

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast