Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Jarrad's AE86 resto project

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Fuhhh this car is going to be nicer than factory, everything looks so perfectly done! Those shots of the rear end are amazing

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So I haven't had an update in quite some time! I've been pretty busy.

Finished uni, graduate next week (woo!) and have started a new job.

Lately I've been working on the interior.
    I've fully fitted all of the carpet now, including the underfelt. It was an annoying job, but not that hard. Just lots of mocking up, placing, bolting, etc. Did it with my seat rails and bolts so that I knew how it would sit. I was initially a little disappointed that it wasn't 100% fitting, but then I looked closely at carpet in other cars (including my ke70) and they actually fit worse from the factory, ahhh the 80's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	34282Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1126.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	34284

I've been debating what to do with my door cards and rear seats.
    My front seats will be these Recaros, and I don't know whether to try match the fabric (source rear Evo 1 GSR seats for the fabric) or just ignore that. For now, I've fabric painted/dyed the door cards all black.

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	34287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	34288Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1122.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	34281

I've fitted the roof lining and all plastic trims that support it, the kick panel trims, and whatever else I can put in before belts/seats. It's been vinyl painted as well, however it's a little streaky. Can't notice it at a glance, only when the light hits it at a certain point.

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	34283

My seat belts are all in terrible condition, so I need to make a decision.

Option 1: find black seatbelts. New or in good condition (aware they're probably not ADR approved if from Yahoo. But I doubt they'd get checked)
    Option 2: Run it as a two seater, and install a harness bar. No need to get rear seats trimmed to match the front, and harnesses are probably going to cost the same as belts. Would then need to be engineered (which I was considering for the seats/coilovers just so it's a fully street legal car).

Name:	IMG_1131.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	34286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	34285

And in mechanical news, the engine bottom end is 100% complete. Crank, rods, pistons, clutch, lightened flywheel is all assembled and balanced as an assembly. Gotta drop some stuff down at the engine builder (who has also been really busy) and get started on the head.

TL;DR

Interior mostly fitted.
    To harness and lose back seats, or find seatbelts and re-trim?
    Engine progress still going.

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Rear seats are only symbolic really, so I think unless you are going for a factory spec build they are kind pointless. Plus a mattress could probably fit in the back, perfect after a big night out so no one steals your car.

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Even if you go the harness route, you will still need ADR belts to get the car engineered. Any quick release turnbuckle harness is not road legal, you still need the normal 3 point belts as well. Klippan do new black belts if you want to go down that route.

If the car is going daily duties, leave the rear seat in. It leaves the car more versatile. I have 2 baby seats in the back of the coupe... yes it's ridiculous.
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, its true mate, the other problem with harnesses is that they are not self tightening, which is also an ADR requirement. So even the harnesses like mine with the seatbelt style clip don't cut it

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, doing a bit more digging last night on modification laws and ADRs I did come across that.
    All seems a bit odd, but laws are laws, and even with engineers cert you can't get around needing retractable/original belts.

Haven't heard of Klippan, so will check it out. Would be good to get some new replacements. Looked on Yahoo, but black ones are faded and a little shitty anyway.

Are you running a Velo harness Robbo? I was looking at them and liked the seatbelt-style clip.

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

No I am running an OMP item that I sourced from a local store.

Pretty good price for a brand new item from a reputable store. I had always thought that name brand harnesses were more expensive than that so in the past I had bought second hand ones of eBay only to find they were fakes

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I have Klippan belts in the back of my car Jarrad, you're welcome to come round and have a look at them and see if they're what you're looking for if you want.

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

So I got my front belts fitted:

Name:	20141215_165523.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	34313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141215_165533.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	34314
    APV saftery products, part number:
    RH: k6508
    LH: k6507
    Brackets: K4425

As happy as I could be with them. I would prefer that they had a top mount in the pillar as well, but all their books say don't attempt to recreate it, and just torque it all to spec.
    First side took ages to get it all working right, then the second side was done in 10 mins.

Decided against harness route and stuff. Seeing as I need to run seatbelts with them anyway.

Name:	20141215_170231.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	34315

For the trim panels, I just had to make a small cut to feed them onto the new belts and in position.

Also visited the engine guy to drop a few bits off and have a chat. Happy with how it's coming along. He's done small touches like removing sharp castings to improve oil flow.

Name:	20141211_131613.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	34311

Picked up a new water pump, thermostat, ordered a timing belt kit as well (thanks James!)
    Last edited by Jrad; 15th December 2014 at 07:44 PM.

Name
    Jarrad
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

The car has been a little bit on hold.

Basically, I started fitting all the dash up, but want to test it all before putting it back together properly.
    To do that, I need to get some power to it all.
    To do that, I need to get a loom happening.
    To get a loom happening, it's probably best to just do it once I have an engine in and do it all in one go.
    Engine is still at the builders.

So, to pass some time, I swapped my KE70 for a new toy.

1987 G-Limited, factory supercharged (sc14 now) MR2, with optional t-tops (that leak, of course)
    It needs a bit of work, but it'll keep me busy.
    I've spent one full day on it and sorted out a bunch of stuff already. I reckon I'll pull all the carpet and stuff out over a weekend and clean it all up.

Name:	20150113_225329.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	34524
    Booked in for a major service on Friday. Has a starting and idling issue - once running it seems to be fine. Also has an oil leak.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 LastLast