Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AE86 VS MX5 whats better to learn in?

Name
    nick
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

Default AE86 VS MX5 whats better to learn in?

Ok so i wanna buy a light weight rwd and ive narrowed it down to an 1990 mx5 or an ae86. id be doing a 16v conversion, installing a tseries disc to disc and probably go with some moderately priced coilovers (bc) and the mx5 would be getting the torsen diff upgrade (not sure how familiar everyone is with mx5s) and some yellowspeed coilovers and prob some xforce extractors to give me a little more power. in my opinion after those mods the cars would be pretty equal but im wondering what car would be better to learn to drive/master rwd in? (i currently drive a pig of a lancer and no i haven't been watching too much initial d haha)

the only downside for the 86 in my opinion is the price.

Name
    Henry
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

price and cost of panels lights etc if you crash it.
    RT142 Estate.

AJPS.

Name
    nick
    State
    nsw
    Country
    australia

are they similar to drive or?

Name
    Eddie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

They are slightly different to drive. I've owned both. Yes they are both rwd and light but there are still subtle differences. I would suggest getting the nb8b mx5 instead of the na6.

The mx5 is a more clinical car to drive. I did not have many mods on the car so can't compare to heavily modified ones.

The 86 is a far rawer driving experience. The car is more rigid and requires more driver input to drive. That said, my 86 is massively modified.

Either car will be great to learn in. Get into both of them yourself and drive. You may prefer one over the other.
    4agte finally finished. 252rwkw with more to come

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Id say they are similar.
    Cost wise id say your better off like this... mx5/ae71> > ae86
    You could build or buy a ae71 with a 4age for around the same price as a mx5.
    Ke70/ae71 weigh less then a ae86, and are more replaceable. Id go for one of them, but the mx5 is still a good option

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Don't waste your money on bc coilovers , get kyb and king springs if you were thinking of bc's. There are much better options out there for only a few $$$ more

Ae86's are becoming harder to find, ke70 and ae71 is following suit too, but they are also good options if an ae86 is costing too much.

And you can never watch too much initial d. Do you want to drift or just be quick at grip? Fwd grip is fun
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

a MX5 is so good out of the factory you will feel like you are rwd master already. it feels twitchier to drift stock standard than an ae71 imho.

if you wish to master rwd, I would suggest starting in an underpowered ke70 with a welded diff, then making subtle changes to suspension and power. as you make the changes you'll see how the car reacts differently.

practice at slow speeds on slippery surfaces, then build up to faster speeds on slippery surfaces. then go to slow speeds on grippy surfaces, before trying high speed on grippy surfaces.

paddocks or large expanses of grass/ concrete are best to start on.

don't start out on the street trying to drift, even if it's industrial areas that aren't populated. gutters will munch your rims and suspension...

good luck whichever car you choose, but i'd be going almost any 70's or 80's rwd jap car to begin with, then buying another car later once you've had some practice.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

^^^ is great advice...

Allot of guys build 300kw drift pigs, have power to get outta any situation and never really learn how to drive properly
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I forgot to mention try your hand at motorkhana and autocross, real cheap motorsport and a safe way to throw your car around.

check out cams.com.au, , , and tccav.org.au for info.

Name
    Chris
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

I think an ae86 is great to learn in...get one with no power steering.
    MOPAR or no car!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast