Thread: R&D Mechanical's GT86 Build Log.

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Default R&D Mechanical's GT86 Build Log.

After a discussion with my wife Riki about tracking her daily JZX100 Chaser, we got onto the subject of a new 'daily'. She mentioned wanting a GT86 as she previously owned a AE86 Trueno. However I convinced her we couldn't get it as I wanted to surprise her with one (I told her the waiting list was over a year). One week after I had secretly ordered the 86, I got her to test drive one and I used the 'I know we can't get one now but I just wanted you to experience what they are like for the future' line. She had no idea that her very own 86 was on its way. About a month before it was due to arrive, I gave in and broke the news of my secret; needless to say she didn't believe me as my story was so convincing and our salesman played along with it on the test drive LOL. Once she realized it was really happening, she was super excited and couldn't wait.

We will be logging our maintenance & modifications in here.

Firstly, a bit about our order - A Pegasus white, manual GT. (Riki had the option of getting a GTS however wanted only the basic options)

On the 21st of October it arrived at Toyota after a 2 month wait.

We were lucky to have it arrive with only 11kms on the clock and already detailed.

The best part about working at Toyota (second job), I was able to do the pre-delivery on it & make sure everything was up to spec after its journey from Japan.
    Normally there will be a fuse called a 'short pin' which cuts out some things while in storage, including the radio & central locking etc. This is called a DCC fuse and is a 30AMP if anyone gets stuck.

While I had it on the hoist, I checked the suspension & brake bolts for tightness and these were all loose (not good but that is why it gets a pre delivery) - I have noticed on some 86's that come in for PD's, the bolts are loose, so it is worth your while to check and make sure your PD was done correct.

Being a perfectionist & never owning a 'brand' new car, I even fitted washers behind the number plates to prevent them scratching, haha.

Once it was all done & checked, I gave it a quick wash and then it was time for delivery to my lovely lady (who had been messaging & calling all day!)

I was lucky enough to put the first extra 20kms on it driving home after work (I know I won't be driving it for a while :p). When I arrived she was jumping up & down with excitement and just wanted to go for a drive. Now I know I am free of buying all Xmas, b'day & anniversary presents for the next 5 years.

We have taken a few photos in the last couple of days and there will be many more.

Thank you for reading!

R&D Mechanical, Seaford SA - please visit www.rdmechanicalshop.com
    Our introduction - Click here

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Great colour choice.. Look forward to seeing this get transformed.
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    David
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

romance novel meets automotive purchase

what are the plans for it?
    - 10 year anniversary Tshirts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...irts-group-buy -

Garage sale http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/fo...3-autumn-sales Specials on front end kits - pm me

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Would win anyone's heart Dave

Work wheels and Shockworks coilovers to start! Looking into forced induction but will wait a while to let others blow engines and see what works & what doesn't. The innovate supercharger kit looks really good replacing the intake manifold and looks rather stockish. Turbo would be great but there really is no room for a turbo on this vehicle. People are still getting good results with the supercharger kit and some good tuning with the ecutek software.

Brake pads will most likely be the first mod, we will go for the QFM A1RMs as all our cars have these pads and perform really well. I've also seen the video that nikkojoe posted up of the firewall flexing whilst on the brakes heard so maybe a brake master cylinder stopper is a good idea. Do they really make that much difference? You would know Dave. Cusco would have one.

More soon!
    Last edited by R&D Mechanical; 28th October 2013 at 07:02 PM.

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

We installed a HID head light kit from StreetFx aswell as some LED parker, number plate, boot and cabin lights. Makes a massive difference in vision at night compaired to the halogen lights the GT model has standard. We removed the front bar to get the best access to the light assy aswell as finding a good spot to mount the ballast.

We also reached 1000km and changed the engine oil as many owners have been doing. We will service this every 5000KM with genuine oil and filter, 15,000KM is just way too long for any car! Now the car has around 3000KM it has opened up so much and the more you drive it the faster it goes! The gear box is still a little notchy but thats expected of a new gearbox so we will leave it for now until it has more KMs (run in more).

Keeping clean with our JZX100 Chaser which is getting setup for tarmac rally, hillclimbs and drift.

Riki-lee also got invited to a private track day the night before the day at 11pm due to another 86 member pulling out and gave it for free!!

I'm really proud of Riki for going out to her first track day at Mallala and also the positive response from people about her driving. One of our customers was following her in his S15, which has good tyres & suspension and said he was going hard and could not keep up! She ended up getting a 1.30.00 for her best lap in a stock 86 with prius tyres and a 47c degree day.

Chris in his AE86. Old vs new!

Here's a video of Riki getting chased by a time attack S15

After the track day we fitted some Shockworks coilovers, we set the height to 360mm all around which is a little lower then stock but still retains great handling.

Fitment was really easy due to the awesome quailty of these Shockworks units, they are worth every cent.

When going for a wheel alignment we found there is no camber adjustment front or rear from factory, only front and rear toe adjustment. Our future mods will be front camber bolts and some adjustable rear control arms as there is only -.5 camber on the front and -2.5 degree in the rear.

Other mods will be wheels, tyres, brakes and supercharger kit.

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Eta till the supercharger is to be fitted???

Sprintex aka bullet kit?
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Davey & Riki-lee
    State
    South Australia
    Country
    Australia

Not too sure wont be for a while, we want to dial in the handling first then more power! We will use the intercooled sprintex setup.