Thread: Long term car storage

Name
    Ollie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Long term car storage

Hey all, I might be moving overseas for a while (12 months +) and have been looking into long terms storage. I didn't know this until looking into it, but there are places that will securely store and start your car monthly etc and rotate wheels to keep in good running order... only trouble is they charge 190-200/ month to do it. Anyone know of a better solution or somewhere cheaper that would do the same thing? The car's not registered, ae71 wagon, no mods... should sell it, but can't bring myself to do it! Looking at the options... Thanks in advance.

Name
    James
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Leave it with your parents/siblings not an option?

Name
    Mirko
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I might know someone in Sydney but who can do it for cheaper if your keen

Name
    Ollie
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Would prefer Melbourne, only because its unregistered, so would be easier and cheaper to move it there, but might be interested.
    My family is all in Sydney, so like above, would need to get it back there, but the most important part is I need to keep it off the street, otherwise the council whack a sticker on it for being on public road unrego'd, and no-one has a spare garage unfortunately!

Thank you both for your feedback!

Noooob
    Name
    Matt
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Pay me 200 and ill tow it from melb to syd for you. I have family in melb I visit regularly so no biggie if I fly or drive and being the trailer
    Ae86 Drivingclub - Toyota AE86 Car Club where AE86 | KE70 | Toyota 86 / GT86 | Subaru BRZ | Scion FRS owners

Name
    Adam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

$50 a week is pretty damned cheap storage with that kind of service I would have thought. Its not cheap I will give you that, but it would probably cost you that to rent someone's garage for 12 months and that wouldn't come with the security and maintenance that the storage business is offering.

Commercial real estate prices are usually around the $100 per square metre per annum.

Corolla might be 8 square metres, but lets call it 10 for the sake of easy maths.

So your car takes up $1000 worth of space for 12 months.

They then need to provide the security on the building, do the maintenance promised, and make some money out of you.

Given the more hard earned you spend on storage, the less you have to spend away, I can understand why you are looking for cheaper, but it seems like a pretty good deal to me all the same

Senior Member Hen may possibly be a nut's Avatar
    Name
    Hen
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

I had mine in a friend's backyard for 5 years. It loved it. So did he. And his mum. And yes, speaking from my experience, 12 months will turn into 3 years and you'll get back and realize it would have made better sense to sell before leaving.

I pay $150 a month for a 3x2 lockup storage unit in the way outer suburbs. So I think the price you've been quoted to look after the car is reasonable. But if you spread the word you might find a friend of a friend who can put it in the corner of a shed up the country for a couple of slabs.

Hen

Name
    Dave
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I'll buy it off you, look after it for the year, and you get dibs to buy it back upon your return for the same price.

either that, or I have storage in melb that we can negotiate.