Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My AE86 from the uk (eventually becoming SR powered)

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Paul
    State
    Essex
    Country
    England

I have a ready done SR20 Power AU AE86 now in the UK, if you want any photos of the engine mounts etc

Name
    Adam
    State
    Leicester
    Country
    UK

really? that sounds cool ! I haven't got the tools or equipment to fabricate my own mounts but it would be interesting to see some photos of your engine bay and and everything. wouldn't mind some information or pictures on the wiring if you've got any ? what sort of setup have you got with speedo and rev counter etc? will you be taking it to any car shows or anything this year would be cool to see it in the flesh

Oldschool Member
    Name
    Paul
    State
    Essex
    Country
    England

Yes will have both of my AE86s at Japfest this is the SRs engine I have cleaned it up bit since the photo was taken

Name
    Adam
    State
    Leicester
    Country
    UK

Finally some decent progress...

the engine shed!

also I have been buying new stainless nuts and bolts as I'm OCD like that lol.

thinking about respraying the bay to freshen it up a bit. Probably gonna stay white but I did consider orange to match the cam cover or does that sound silly?? Any thoughts from anybody?

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I found re-spraying the engine bay to be a very painful process, having said that I had to go back to raw steel... Also I am personally glad that I didn't spend too many hours trying to get the final finish perfect, you don't see the majority of the work and most people only look at the motor itself given that it is not what is normally in there.

From the photos it looks like your engine bay is in pretty good nick really, also don't forget that you are likely to put some scratches into the surface whilst you are trying to test fit the SR a few times, it will likely come in and out 3 or 4 times during the first installation...

In the end though, its your car mate, so do what is necessary so that you will be happy with the end result.

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

also I would be more likely to change the colour of the cam covers than the engine bay... a lot less work and orange is a little in your face, plus if you ever have any minor oil leaks or crud flicked up from the road it will always be visible over bright orange....

still only my 2c

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Name
    Adam
    State
    Leicester
    Country
    UK

Yeah I've been looking at the bay and thinking it's gonna be a bit if a pain in the arse to paint. Need to cut the battery tray out and little bits of rust where bits of paint have come off but generally it is in pretty good condition. Bloody sump caught the front panel on it way out and bent it a bit. Nothing a hammer can't fix!

Little bits of seam sealant has started to crack and a few little bits I managed to pick off. Is it best to apply some fresh sealant or is there any other better things I could patch it up with? Eventually I would like to get it all seam welded but budget doesn't allow that right now.

I kinda like like the orange but my original plan was to have all black silicone hoses etc and try and make it look sort of "OEM" but that' can be worried about later on in the build

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3