Thread: some interesting facts about toyota seats

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default some interesting facts about toyota seats

your adm seat pans are almost identical to jdm seat pans, the only differences being two extra side support seat bolster rails

so if your seat has excessive side to side movement around the rails, im sorry to say this has happened to your seats.

the seat pans are made of pretty weak pressed steel with captive nuts tack welded on the insides, with excessive cornering and people dropping themselves into the seats on entry puts strain on the captive nuts, therefore cracking surrounding steel.
    this was the case with my jdm drivers seat. so i swapped the seat pan for an adm one, drilled out the spot welds on the jdm seat for the side bolsters and re welded them to the adm pan

re assembled

ma61 back side supports with fit an jdm ae86 seat, BUT the foam is about 1-2" short at the top

passenger side jdm ae86 bolsters will fit drivers side seats.
    adm recliner mechanisms bolt on too.

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Same as the ae86 rear seat, the jdm seat (upper section) is narrower to allow for the arm rest style side trims, the inner carcas is exactly the same as an adm seat though, it just has added little spot welded sections on the sides that can be removed quite easily

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Your right ben, I have a pair of both adm and jdm rear seats at my place and noticed that aswell.
    Going to retrim the jdm seats for a member here. Will take pics of both to compare

Name
    Ben
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Yeah, when I put my jdm arm rest trims in the back of my 86 a billion years ago and I just used my adm seat and took it apart/removed the outer parts

Name
    Robert
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

do you know if the foam insert and fabric are separable? im interested in re dyeing the seat just wondering if this is viable? was thinking about removing the cloth sections and simply re boiling a red die into the fabric.

Name
    Geoff
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

you can take the covers off the foam, but you cant remove the "cerex" foam from the covers itself. cerex is 12mm foam with a fibre type backing, commonly used when doing your stitch lines on covers.